BOSVATHICK HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158697

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: BOSVATHICK HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS TO WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOSVATHICK HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158697 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 13:26:24.

Location

Statutory Address: BOSVATHICK HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS TO WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

National Grid Reference: SW 75157 30295

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 SE CONSTANTINE

6/17 Bosvathick House including - adjoining walls to west

GV II

Country house. Circa late C17 or early C18, extended and remodelled in early to mid C19 and extended again in circa 1895. Granite ashlar south front, dressed granite at rear with granite dressings. Slate hipped roofs with red clay ridge tiles and deep eaves. Granite ashlar stacks with cornices and weathered caps. Plan: All that can be seen of the late C17 or early C18 house is the 5-bay south front. Its 2 principal front rooms and central entrance hall are now the drawing rooms and its back rooms are now occupied by the entrance hall to the right leading to the stairhall to the left. The reorientation of the house, probably of circa early to mid C19, involved the addition of a single storey wing at the back to the right and a porch at the right side, as well as a complete remodelling of the interior. In circa 1895 the single storey rear wing was raised to 2 storeys and extended along the back and left (west) side with library projecting to the left of the south front, creating a small central courtyard. All that remains of the probably C16 house are the granite doorways reused in the garden walls and outbuilding to the west. Exterior: 2-storeys. The south front: The original circa late C17 or early C18 house to the right has a symmetrical 5-bay front of granite ashlar with cavetto moulded plinth and a torus moulded string course at first floor level. The windows have flat granite arches and cills; these original openings have circa early to mid C19 12-pane sashes, the central window of the first floor is slightly wider. The central ground floor window is in the position of the original front doorway which was then pedimented. An illustration dated 1782 in the possession of the owner depicts a much steeper hipped roof and the existing roof seems to be a C19 replacement with deep eaves. To the left on the south front is the circa 1895 wing which projects slightly, with a 2-storey granite canted bay with a sash on each side all without glazing bars; the wing has a moulded string course at first floor level. The left hand return (west elevation) of the circa 1895 addition is pebble-dash rendered and has a range of 12-pane sashes. The right hand return (east elevation): the wall of the original house here seems to have been rebuilt in early to mid C19 when this side of the house became the entrance front. It has early to mid C19 12-pane sashes and a large circa early to mid C19 granite ashlar porch with quoins, heavy granite cornice and blocking course and a round arch doorwy with similarly arched window on either side. Inside the porch there is a plaster modillion cornice and lantern with acanthus decoration. To the right of the porch the house was extended at the back by a single storey 3-window range (now the dining room) with tall 12-pane sashes and later in circa 1895 a second storey was added which has smaller 12-pane sashes. The rear north elevation has a 3-window range of sashes and a projecting hipped roof wing to the right. A well at the rear encloses the service yard. Including the garden wall adjoining west and set back to the left of the south garden front: It is of granite rubble and has a C16 4-centred arch granite doorway incorporated into it; and another similar doorway reused in a small lean-to outbuilding on the inside (north) of the wall. There is also a section of low wall with circa late C17 or early C18 coping. Interior: The principal rooms on the south front are the drawing rooms which have been refitted in circa mid to late C19 but with plasterwork of circa mid C19 and joinery that appears to be earlier C19; the chimey-pieces are late C19. The circa 1895 west wing contains the library facing the south garden and it is complete with late C19 chimney-piece and moulded cornice. The dining room at the back (north east) has a late C19 black marble chimney-piece and moulded cornice but the window shutter here appear to be earlier C19. The stairhall has a modillion cornice and a late C19 staircase. The entrance vestibule also has a modillion cornice and an elaborate wooden chimney-piece incorporating a clock. Bosvathick has been the seat of the Horsfords since the late C18. Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. pages 171 to 174.

Listing NGR: SW7515730295

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall171-174

End of official listing