Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158698

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967



Ordnance survey map of THORNBRIDGE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:33:38.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Ashford in the Water

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK1979870922


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 17 SE PARISH OF ASHFORD IN THE WATER LONGSTONE LANE 3/47 (East Side) 12.7.1967 Thornbridge Hall GV II

Hall and stableblock, now combined and converted into educational establishment. C18 core, 1871 additions, completely altered in 1897 by Charles Hadfield in neo-Tudor style. Also with C20 additions. Coursed squared limestone with sandstone dressings and quoins. Continuous ground and first floor dripmoulds. Roofs hidden by parapet walls. Numerous octagonal, diamond and other sectioned stone side wall and ridge stacks. Ridgeback coped parapets, partly castellated. Irregular plan, basically square with northern tower, joined to quadrangular stableblock to north. House, 2 and 3 storeys with 4 storey tower, stableblock mainly single storey with two storey tower. Garden front - polygonal projecting corner bay to south with mullion and transom window. Plain recessed section to north in advanced bay beyond 4-light mullion and transom window with central major mullion, Two 3-light mullion and transom windows beyond with external stack between. Advanced polygonal bay beyond matching southern one. Above, similar windows in same arrangement. Over, parapet walls and projecting stacks. Beyond, to north, recessed three storey section with single storey porch, similar style windows and stacks over. South elevation similar, with advanced canted bays and mullion and transom windows. All fenestration, various different designs of leaded lights. Principal entrance to west of c1910. Large porte-cochere with balustraded parapet, supported on Tuscan columns, Canted mullion and transom bay window over and stepped parapet with coat of arms to centre. To north, long range of C20 additions connecting hall to stableblock. Behind these, at north end of the hall, four storey tower with mullioned windows and massive corbelling to east side. In south-east corner, at an angle, Tudor-style doorcase with large mullion and transom window over, the original 1897 entrance. Stableblock to north-quadrangle of low eaved single storey buildings with plain tile roofs. Main facade to west - central four-centred arch with continuous dripmould over. To south side, four mullion and transomed windows, three furtherest to south being double transomed, To north side, three mullioned and transom window below and above,dripmould. Low parapet wall over, to both sides, stepped up towards central embattled tower with corbelled parapets, topped by octagonal lead cupola. Base with clock faces to north and south. Above, semi-circular headed arches with flying buttresses between. Octagonal dome over. To rear of stableblock large semi-circular mullioned bay window. Various Tuscan columned porches to sides. Interior of hall - elaborate Tudor-style panelling to main rooms and halls. Galleried, Grand Hall has barrel vaulted, plasterwork ceiling, double flight staircase with Morris & Co window to west and carved panels above each door. Main porch of Hopton Wood marble with Buffet Fountain, from Chatsworth, by Samuel Watson of 1709 to side, 1897 billiard room with built-in benches, full length Tudor style fireplace, clocks and concealed panelled cue cupboards. Marble fireplace, probably from Harlaxton in dining room. Also walnut panelling and plasterwork ceiling. Upstairs, two 1897 bathrooms with mahogany panelling and slate baths. Above south entrance, large stained glass window of tropical birds. Various re-used carvings from other country houses, imported to the hall c1930s.

Listing NGR: SK1979870922


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 80477

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 10 Derbyshire,

End of official listing