Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jan-2021 at 04:52:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 75407 32318



3/70 Higher Spargo Farmhouse including - adjoining walls at rear GV II

Farmhouse. C17, C18 and circa 1810; C19 part of house remodelled circa 1893. Granite ashlar front to C19 house, otherwise granite rubble, with granite dressings, limewashed to part. Dry Delabole slate roof to C19 house, otherwise scantle slate. Rendered brick chimneys over gable ends of C19 house, axial brick chimney towards rear of C18 range, tall rubble stack over right-hand end of C17 house. Plan: Overall U-shaped plan: double-depth C19 house at the front; probably C18 or C18 remodelled C17 range at right angles behind the right-hand side and a C17 2-room plan house returning on the left at the rear parallel to the C19 house. C19 house has 2 rooms at the front flanking an entrance hall between leading to stair hall between kitchen at rear left and probably a pantry or dairy at rear right. C18 range is now 1 room at the front and its fireplace in the front right-hand corner is remodelled as a stair to a small gallery. Behind this room is an axial through passage with a service room beyond. Over the passage and the service room is a heated chamber with a fireplace which shares a flue with the large stack of the C17 house. Access to this chamber is by a large flight of stone steps. C17 house has unheated room on the left, heated kitchen on the right with large fireplace doorway leads straight into this larger room; Behind the left-hand room is a later pantry outshut; behind the kitchen is a shallow possibly original outshut, possibly a furze cupboard or even a bed space. This C17 house may be all that remains of a larger group of C17 buildings on the same site as the present buildings. The principal C17 house may have been on the site of the C19 house. There is a C19 lean-to on the left of the C17 house and a circa late-C19 range of 4 pigstys (now roofless) adjoining the left-hand side of the C19 house. There is a high wall enclosing the left-hand side of a courtyard between the C19 house and the C17 house, and there is another wall at the rear of the small farmyard on the left of this. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window south-south-east front with central doorway. Plinth, granite ashlar, and flat arches with projecting keystones over the openings. Possibly original 6-panel door with overlight; circa 1893 dressed granite distyle classical style porch; 4-pane horned sashes of the same date. Rear has original flush-panelled door and circa mid-C19 12-pane hornless sashes. There is a possibly original 16-pane hornless sash in the right hand wall. C17 house has 2 window front with approximately central doorway. Wooden lintel over doorway, old ledged door. Original small C17 chamfered granite window opening left of doorway; larger C17 3-light chamfered granite mullioned window right of doorway. First floor (probably C18 or C19 enlarged) window openings are closer spaced and contain circa early C19 2-light windows with mortices for vertical glazing bars. The right-hand window has internal glazed casements. Left-hand wall of C18 range has a probably reused C17 chamfered granite doorway on the right and the rebated head of a C17 window to its left. This window has had a mullion restored to it recently (1987). There is a C17 chamfered jambstone (possibly in situ) on the left of the outer doorway to the through passage. A 4-centred arched doorway in the courtyard wall was resited circa 1984 following its removal from the rear of the through passage at Lower Sparge qv. The hogs back copings on the courtyard wall were cut for Higher Spargo in 1836 (account record). There is a granite monolithic mounting block right of the through passage outer doorway. Interior: C19 house has a large fireplace of reused C17 granite jambs and lintel in its kitchen. The other features are mostly of the 1893 remodelling including: panelled doors, some plaster ceiling cornices and the turned-baluster stairs. C17 house has softwood plank and muntin partition between the rooms, a large granite fireplace spanned by a hardwood lintel; a C17 chamfered granite fireplace to chamber above, and probably C19 first floor and roof structures. In the chamber adjoining the gable end of the C17 house is a C17 chamfered granite fireplace (possibly resited) with its lintel cut from an earlier gatepost with sockets for loose bars. In the C17 and until C17 Higher Spargo was occupied by a branch of the Godolphin family; it was then held by the Hawkins family of Trewinnard (qv). Source: Historical information supplied by present occupier.

Listing NGR: SW7540732318


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11140/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Margaret Hocking. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].