CHURCH OF ST GOMONDA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GOMONDA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158829 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 09:28:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GOMONDA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 98796 59796
SW 95 NE
5/230 Church of St Gomonda
Parish church. C14, largely rebuilt mid C15; in 1822 substantially altered for the Rev. Thomas Fisher, later alterations, probably to the south porch, and restoration of 1890 by J. D. Sedding. Tower in squared granite, granite rubble, with granite dressings. Polyphant arcade. Slate roofs with ridge coping tiles, raised coped verges to the north transept. Plan West tower, nave and south aisle, north transept, chancel and south porch. The north transept is said to be on Norman foundations, largely rebuilt in the C14. The tower is of C15. In 1822, the nave, chancel and south aisle were rebuilt, the south arcade removed and the east front formed as one gable end. At some time after this, the south porch was probably rebuilt. In 1890, J.D. Sedding carried out a restoration, which re-instated the arcade between the south aisle and the nave, and renewed the roofs. There was a further proposal in 1900 for a vestry, which was not built, only the doorway through the east wall of the transept. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower on moulded plinth, with set-back weathered buttresses rising to embattled parapet with polygonal corners, each supported by a carved figure or mask; no pinnacles. String courses to each stage. The west doorway has a 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels, square head with hood mould and square stops; plain C19 door. 4-light C15 Perpendicular window above, with Y tracery and cusped lights, hood mould and relieving arch. The top stage has 3-light bell-opening to each side, with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and upper tracery, slate louvres and hood mould. Clock at 2nd stage to east and north. 3-bay nave without plinth, has 2 north windows of 1822, with 4-centred arch an intersecting tracery. The north transept is of a single bay with gable end to north with cross finial, one similar early C19 window in north gable end stair descending to cellar to west, to a 4-centred arched doorway hollow-chamfered, with studded door. C19 east doorway with pointed arch. The south aisle is of 6 bays, with raised coped verges and cross finial. Windows of 1822, with intersecting tracery, porch in 2nd bay from west. The east gable end has a window of 1890, a copy of the tower west window, of 4-lights, with cusped lights and Y tracery, with hood mould. Gabled south porch has raised coped verges and cross finial, on plinth. 4-centred arched outer doorway, chamfered, with cast iron gates with diamond finials. Inner doorway is a tall 4-centred arch with roll-moulding and hood mould, much rebuilt, with C19 studded double doors. Granite floor and C19 arched-brace roof. The chancel has large east window of 1890, as at east end of aisle, of 6 lights, with cusped lights, Y tracery and hood mould with angel stops. Cross finial. Interior Tall 4-centred arch to tower; tower has north west door to stair, hollow- chamfered, with C19 studded door. Stone newel stair. The tower arch has triple shafts to sides with a concave moulding between each shaft, 3 orders of mouldings to arch, convex and concave. Nave and chancel in one, with wagon roof of 1890, ceiled over the chancel; similar roof to south aisle. The south arcade is of 6 bays, in polyhant, with standard A-type piers and lightly Tudor arched heads. Plain 4-centred chamfered arch to north transept, and at upper level to the east of the arch, the rood stair door, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arch and step stops. 2 steps remain at upper level on the north transept side. North transept also has C19 roof. Fittings: Fine late C12 Bodmin-type font in south aisle, in Pentewan stone; a large bowl on central stem with 4 corner shafts with bases. The shafts end in carved angels' heads, much restored and With one angel replaced. The bowl has interlaced snakes under chevron rim. In the nave, a pulpit, probably by Sedding, in Polyphant, on plinth with flight of steps. Royal arms over the south door, oil on canvas, probably cica 1800. Slate monument in the north transept, with incised nowy head, central cherub's head with wings, crossed bones to left and skull to right. Latin inscription and English verses, to Richard Treweeke, rector of the parish, 1732. The dedication is also refered to as St Gonandus, or St Gomond. Sources: Radcliffe, E. : Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Creswell Payne, H.M.: The Storey of the Paris of Roche 1946.
Listing NGR: SW9879659796
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Payne, H, The Story of the Paris of Roche, (1946)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.