CHURCH OF ST BRUEREDUS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1158842
Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRUEREDUS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158842 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 07:18:09.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRUEREDUS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish: St. Breward
National Grid Reference: SX 09728 77346
ST BREWARD CHURCHTOWN, St Breward
SX 07 NE
5/192 Church of St Brueredus
Parish Church. Dedicated to St Brueredus. Norman origins, with later work associated with William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter, 1224-1245. Dedicated in 1278. Restored 1863- 64 by J P St Aubyn. Granite ashlar south porch and south aisle. Stone rubble north wall and ashlar north transept with straight joint possibly suggesting a widening to the north. Stone rubble east wall to chancel with a distinct batter. Granite ashlar west tower. Plan: Norman church possibly of cruciform plan with 6-bay north aisle, the probably Norman piers extant. Partly altered by William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter. 1224-1245 when the fenestration was altered. 5-bay south aisle added in C15, possibly contemporary with south porch and west tower. Restored in 1864 by J P Aubyn when the north aisle was partly rebuilt (Maclean). Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, strings and battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Recessed west door with 2-centred arched opening with carved heads forming stops. Renewed C19 Perpendicular west window. 3-light belfry openings with slate fenestration. North aisle has circa C13 2- light windows with cusped heads with circa C13 window to north transept. Chancel window replaced by J P Aubyn. Complete circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to south aisle. South porch with 2-centred arched entrance with sundial above dated and signed 1792 T Symons. Interior: C19 arch braced roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle and original circa C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 6-bay north arcade with 5 restored Norman piers of varying size and design in granite and Caen stone. 5-bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and engaged western pier with multiple moulded shaft. Font constructed of Norman fragments with square base, round shaft and unusual shaped font bowl. Originally had cluster of 4 shafts around central shaft. Remains of circa C15 carved bench ends. Remains of circa C15 rood loft or parclose screen forming parclose screen between chancel and north aisle and part also reused at west end of north aisle. Painted Royal Coat of Arms, 1700WR. Memorials include remains of slate tombchest of Christian Rogers, 1609 with two kneeling figures in relief: William Billing of Lanke, 1654 (of Higher Lank Farmhouse): John Adams, 1609. The interior of St Breward Church was illustrated by Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) in a cartoon of Dr Syntax in Search of the Picturesque Rowlandson based his cartoon figure on Rev Ralph Baron and stayed at Hengar (in St Tudy parish) on his visits between 1780 and 1812. Copies of the drawings are displayed in the church, the original is in the British Museum. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1875 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition 1970 Polsue, J Lakes Parochial History of The County of Cornwall 1867, reprinted 1974. Notes and guide in Church.
Listing NGR: SX0973077351
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 67459
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing