TREBARVAH FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING STABLES TO SOUTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158968

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: TREBARVAH FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING STABLES TO SOUTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREBARVAH FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING STABLES TO SOUTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 20:18:42.

Location

Statutory Address: TREBARVAH FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING STABLES TO SOUTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

National Grid Reference: SW 70942 30505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 SW CONSTANTINE

5/50 Trebarvah Farmhouse including - adjoining stables to south east

II

Farmhouse and adjoining stables. Dated 1652, remodelled and extended in early to mid C19 and with later C19 stable extensions. Painted granite rubble. Slurried scantle slate roof with gabled ends. Rendered axial stack to left of centre and gable end stack to right, both with granite caps; red brick shaft to stack in rear outshut. Plan: The existing house has a 3-room plan with an outshut behind the right and centre and a single storey stable at the left end. The 2 right hand rooms are the original mid C17 house, the left hand room the hall/kitchen with a large gable end stack (now axial), the right hand room may have been unheated originally but now has a gable end stack. The straight flight staircase between the 2 rooms is probably an early to mid C19 insertion in the cross or through passage and probably contemporaneous with the addition of the unheated third room to the left and the single storey outshut behind the right and centre of the original house. The single storey, stable of the left end is a later C19 addition. An alternative interpretation of the development of the plan is that the original house had a 3-room and cross or through passage plan, the lower left room and passage demolished and rebuilt in the early to mid C19 as an unheated room without a passage and the stair inserted between the hall and the inner right hand room. Exterior: 2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 3-window range except for the doorway to right of centre. Widely spaced small window openings with slate cills. First floor has late C19 9-pane sash to right, late C19 4-pane sash to centre and C20 window to left. Ground floor has C19 4-pane sash on either side of the doorway and a C20 casement to left. The doorway to right of centre has a C19 or earlier stone rubble open-fronted porch with a slurried slate lean-to roof and a C19 panelled inner door, the top panels with triangular heads. A very large granite trough adjoins to right of the front of the house. Adjoining to left with a lower gable-ended roof, the single storey stables with a divided plank door to the left; a fixed 6-light window in the gable end of the stable. Rear elevation: Late C19 first floor 9-pane sash to the right and a C19 casement below. The lean-to outshut to the left has a plank door and small fixed-light window with 4 panes, and a large brick stack rising from the roof to the left. Interior: A large granite fireplace in the hall/kitchen with chamfered jambs and lintel. The lintel has a recessed panel carved with initials and date "W.G. over E 1652". In the right hand corner of the fireplace an oven, blocked and removed when the left hand room was built. C19 bead-moulded ceiling joists in the ground floor rooms. C19 straight stair flanked by boarded partitions. Rear outshut has a boiling copper at the base of the stack. Roof: The first floor rooms are ceiled and the roof space is inaccessible. Trebarvah was a holding of 56 acres and part of the Manor of Tucoys, the only manor in Constantine mentioned in the Domesday Book. In 1590 John Code held Trebavah as a free tenant of the manor of Tucoys. In 1842 it belonged to Cuthbert and William Tremayne. Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. page 160.

Listing NGR: SW7094230505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66035

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall160

End of official listing