Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158977.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 15:45:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Dinton-with-Ford and Upton
National Grid Reference:
SP 76641 11038



3/157 Dinton Hall

25.10.51 GV II* Country house. Circa 1500, enlarged and substantially rebuilt late C16, altered C17 and 1855-1857. West wing and main south front rubblestone, also east elevation of service ranges fronting churchyard. Remainder in brick. Old tile roofs. Two storeys plus attics, service blocks two storey. Half H plan with wings extending to south and service ranges at east. North front main block of 4 gabled bays, each with two 2-light arched leaded windows. Entrance in 1855 porch in second bay from right in Jacobean style. 2 niches replace the windows above. Band course. Most brick is late C16. Upper floor windows flanked by broad Doric pilasters. Windows and pilasters cement dressed to simulate stone. Cornice above, then 4 gables with stone coping and finials. Oval recesses between first and second and third and fouth gables. Right hand windows to first floor have lower sills and are staircase windows. Behind are range of eight flues, the outer three each side diagonally set, the inner two square. To west is stone gabled bay with cross casement in stone to ground floor. 5-light C17 mullioned attic window with cornice. Beyond is two bay range that is reputed to have been chapel. Service range to east of house has 5 bay ground floor colonnade and 4 four-light stone mullioned upper windows. 4 gables over. South front. Main block has 7 bays of stone cross casement windows. Arched entrance at right. Band course and moulded cornice. Four 2-light hipped dormers to attic. Left wing has ashlar bay window, then 5-light attic stone mullioned window with cornice. At right east wing has 2 cross-casements. Then service blocks in brick. Most of this front represents 1855-1857 work (hopper heads dated 1857) and replaces C18 sashes. Many diagonally set chimneys. Interior. Mainly 1855 onwards features; two Jacobean style staircases and much panelling. The north west projecting wing has in its cellar corbelled supports for hearth and chimney breast above, Circa 1500,consisting of 4 vertical partitions and three shelves dividing it into 12 niches or square recesses. The partitions are coved out and have moulded medieval corbels at top and bottom. On first floor in middle room facing south is 4-centred arched fireplace with moulded jambs and C17 added carved surrounds. Some C18 panelling in minor rooms, but mostly C19 interiors. North front has C16 Flemish pictorial and armorial glass, also medieval English stained glass. The house was originally rebuilt c1500 for Archbishop Warham, and was owned by the Regicide Simon Mayne who died in the Tower of London in 1661. RCHM I. 125. MON. 5.

Listing NGR: SP7664711036


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13977/10
Rights: © Dr Richard Hart. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].