STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED STAMPS APPROX 75 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF COUNT HOUSE AT KING EDWARD MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1159218

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED STAMPS APPROX 75 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF COUNT HOUSE AT KING EDWARD MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED STAMPS APPROX 75 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF COUNT HOUSE AT KING EDWARD MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159218 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 10:56:00.

Location

Statutory Address: STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE AND ATTACHED STAMPS APPROX 75 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF COUNT HOUSE AT KING EDWARD MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Camborne

National Grid Reference: SW 66383 38917

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMBORNE SW 63 NE 8/7 Stamps engine house and attached stamps approx 75 metres south-east of Count house at King Edward Mine GV II*

Stamps engine house and associated stamps. Built by Camborne School of Mines in 1902, slightly altered, and restoration in progress at time of survey (1988). Weather-boarded timber frame and corrugated galvanised sheet, with roofs of slurried slate and corrugated sheet respectively. The engine house, which is on higher ground than the stamps but attached to it at the north-east corner, and on a parallel axis, is rectangular in plan and single-storeyed; its gabled and symmetrical 3-bay north facade has a central porch with a door in the left side, two 6-pane windows in the front, and mono-pitched roof, rectangular windows with 2-pane top-hung casement openings above 6 fixed panes, and projecting weather-boarded verge to the roof; the east side has 2 matching windows. Attached to the west side, and set back, is the tall north gable wall of the stamps, which is also weather-boarded, and has a central doorway at a high level; its high west side has symmetrical fenestration, with a 9-pane fixed window at each end of the ground floor and a similar but more closely-spaced pair of windows at a higher level. Interior: the engine house walls are lined with vertical pine boarding, with a dado, but the former 90-hp compound engine has been removed; in the other part, however, the original 5-head set of Fraser and Chalmers Californian stamps in a heavy timber frame, purchased from the Paris Exhibition in 1900, is still in situ. The item is the principal element in an uniquely complete set of turn-of- the-century tin mining buildings on this site. Reference: A.W.Brooks, op.cit.

Listing NGR: SW6638338917

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66552

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Camborne School of Mines Journal' in Camborne School of Mines Journal, ()

End of official listing