Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159242.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 18:11:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 24337 16815


SK 21 NW PARISH OF ROSLISTON MAIN STREET 2/45 (North Side) 19.1.67 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as 'Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary') II*

Parish church. C14 steeple, restored 1802, nave and chancel built 1819. Ashlar with stone dressings, plain plinth and graduated slate roof with ridgeback copings on moulded kneelers, that to eastern nave gable with ridge cross, plus coved cornice. Small western steeple with nave plus south porch and lower chancel bay. Two stage tower has a massive low clasping buttress to base with central steps on west side leading up to a small ogee headed C14 door plus hoodmould with foliage finial which forms the corbelled base of a trefoil headed moulded niche above. Bell stage is narrower and has a chamfered band to base. North and south sides have trefoil headed louvred lancets, west side has a simple louvred lancet with hoodmould and eastern side has similar blocked opening. Broached stone spire over has small lucarnes on four sides. North elevation has three chamfered pointed Y-tracery windows with transomes and leaded lights to nave, and a raised pointed doorcase with panelled door to chancel. East chancel elevation has similar transomed Y-tracery central window flanked by lower chamfered lancets. South elevation similar to north except central window exists only above transome level. South porch below has raised pointed outer arch, simple chamfered single light windows to either side, ridgeback copings to flush parapets and a similar pointed inner door with double panelled doors. Interior has three stepped chamfered pointed arches into the chancel bay and similar low arches between centre and side parts of the chancel bay. Nave has flat ceiling with reeded cornice and a pointed raised doorcase into the tower. Simple fittings with early C20 oak altar rails, a late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit, late C19 bench nave pews, and an octagonal stone font with moulded base. West end of nave has a late C19 organ and a vestry to south side divided off by late C19 timber screen with trefoil headed arcade to top. South side of nave has two re-set white marble oval wall memorials, to the Broune family, both of c1760 and north side has grey marble memorial to Albert Burton who died 1917. Above the tower door is a painted pointed plaque inscribed 'Upwards of two hundred free and unappropriated sittings have been obtained in this church by the aid of the Society for the Enlargment and Building of Churches and Chapels and by other voluntary Subscriptions 24 October 1819'. All nave windows have clear glass, chancel windows have coloured glass.

Listing NGR: SK2433716815


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05568/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Maxine Higgs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].