BILLY BRAY'S THREE EYE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159452
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
BILLY BRAY'S THREE EYE CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BILLY BRAY'S THREE EYE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:50:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
BILLY BRAY'S THREE EYE CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kea
National Grid Reference:
SW 76492 43697

Details

SW 74 SE KEA

1/87 Billy Bray's Three Eye Chapel

GV II

Bible Christian Chapel. First built circa 1835, rebuilt or remodelled circa mid C19 and again circa late C19. The 1835 chapel was built by Billy Bray, largely by his own hands. Cement rendered rubble with rusticated quoins granite sills and polychrome brick porch, flipped asbestos slate roofs. Rectangular aisleless plan with entrance to west and rostrum to east. Single storey. Symmetrical 3-window north and south walls, each with horned 12-pane sashes. West entrance front has late C19 gable-ended banded-brick porch with brick acroteria to gable. Central doorway with shallow brick arch and 4-panel door. Round-arched windows to sides of porch with marginal panes. Interior has mostly circa late C19 fittings including bowed rostrum with turned balustrade and integral projecting pulpit carried on octagonal columns. Winder stairs to left and right with stick balusters. Ornate cast iron panels to communion rail. Particularly interesting is a wooden chair with seat inscribed 'BRILLY BRAY BALDHU 1839'. Some of the pews are earlier benches with shaped ends added. Billy Bray was a greatly loved and respected local preacher, who, whilst working in the mines and caring for his family had several chapels built to a great extent by his own hands. 'Our little chapel had three windows, one on one side and two on the other: the old devil, who does not like chapels, put his servants by way of reproach to call our chapel 'THREE EYES'. But, blessed be God, since then, the chapel has become too small for the place, and it has been enlarged; now there are six windows instead of three; and they may call the chapel SIX EYES now if they will'. Quoted from BILLY BRAY by F.W. Bourne. LONDON May 1890. This book is a great source of further information about the preacher and includes an amusing story of how Billy Bray acquired a 3 cornered cupboard to use as a pulpit for this chapel. Further source - NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS by Christopher Stell.

Listing NGR: SW7649243697

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63374
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bourne, F W , Billy Bray, (1890)
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12122/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael McCloy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].