CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN, WINESTEAD LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161091.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:24:30.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN, WINESTEAD LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 29868 23746
PATRINGTON WINESTEAD LANE
TA 22 SE
(west side, off)
6/64 Church of St Germain
Parish church. C12 north nave and chancel walls, re-set corbels to chancel; late C13 north door, C14 south arcade, late C14-C15 chancel arch and windows to chancel and nave. South aisle demolished, south chapel built in early C17. Repairs to chancel in C17, perhaps when north door replaced in 1694. Restorations of 1889-90 by Temple Moore included new south aisle, rebuilding south chapel, partial rebuilding of north wall, re-roofing, re- seating, restoration of chancel screen. North porch added 1901. Re-roofed c1985. Roughly-coarsed cobbles to chancel, porch, nave north wall and parts of east and west walls; limestone ashlar to south chapel and south side of nave; red brick to nave west end, east gable, nave and chancel parapet; brick with ashlar bands to south aisle. Ashlar dressings throughout. Pantile roof to nave and chancel; lead roofs to aisle and chapel. 2-bay nave with south aisle and north porch, single-bay chancel with single-bay south chapel. Nave: quoins, large pointed 3-light north window and pointed 5-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds, small C19 pointed cinquefoiled window to west gable; moulded string course, coped parapet and gables. Aisle: buttresses to angles and flanking re-set pointed double-chamfered door; square-headed 2-light windows; ogee-headed niche to west end with crocketed hoodmould and buttress shafts. Chancel: quoins, chamfered plinth, small pointed trefoiled south window, corbel-table to south wall with 9 re-set C12 and later corbels, including carved human and animal heads; pointed 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. South chapel (known as Hildyard Chapel): chamfered plinth, pair of square-headed 2-light 4-centred-arch south windows beneath panel of 3 ashlar relief tablets bearing trophies and arms in ornate surrounds, flanked by pair of larger heraldic ashlar relief tablets with arms in ornate strapwork surrounds; east wall has blocked chamfered Tudor-arched door, pair of recessed rectangular panels in chamfered reveals and 2 similar heraldic tablets; coped parapet and gable. Porch: plinth, quoins, pointed chamfered outer arch dying into jambs. Pointed double-chamfered inner arch with door dated 1694 and inscribed with names of churchwardens. Interior. 4-bay arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into jambs. Chancel has double sedilia with pointed chamfered arches, pointed chamfered piscina with restored bowl, blocked pointed north door, carved marble reredos of 1889-90. Restored C15 4-bay nave roof with corbelled wall-posts and carved spandrels to moulded tie beams (some original) with carved bosses, scissor-braces with struts and carved shields, side purlins with wind braces, and king struts to ridge piece; restored C17 moulded coupled-rafter roof to south chapel; ornate C19 2-bay arch-braced chancel roof. Monuments. In nave: C14 - C15 two-thirds life-size priest effigy reset in west bay of aisle, with moulded base and head beneath crocketed ogee arch; fine chest tomb of Sir Christopher Hildyard (d 1602) probably from London workshop, with knight effigy lying on rolled mat with cockerel at feet, and ornate inscribed chest with pilasters bearing carved lamps, hourglass, figure, etc, flanking panels bearing arms in strapwork surrounds with carved fruit; wall tablet to George Dickeson, Hull Customs Officer, of 1680, with inscribed cartouche, grotesque below and arms with urn above; floor slabs to Sarah and Rev Edward Robinson of 1756. In chancel: black marble floorslab with brass bearing black letter inscription to William de Retherby, Rector (d 1418) recording his building of the "choir and church"; black marble floorslab with incomplete C16 brasses of knight, lady and groups of kneeling sons and daughters, and indent for border, possibly cut from a C14 Flemish monument; floor-slab with C19 inscribed brasses to William and Catherine Hildyard. In Hildyard Chapel: wall monuments to Christopher Hildyard of 1684, with Latin inscribed cartouche in ornate carved surround surmounted by arms and flaming urn; to Robert Hildyard of 1729, with inscribed tablet and obelisk with carved arms and urn, flanked by flaming lamps; wall tablet to William Hildyard of 1842 with coffin and carved arms in relief; series of ten C18 - C19 white marble tablets to the Hildyard family, re-set in the floor in 1889 from former mausoleum situated between chancel and chapel. Fittings. Fine restored C15 oak chancel screen, of 5 bays: blind traceried 2-light lower panels with sub-cusped trefoiled pointed arches and intersecting tracery above, upper panels with pointed 2-light openings with ornate Perpendicular and curvilinear tracery and nodding sub-cusped crocketed ogee heads, pointed central opening with Perpendicular-traceried head, restored fan-vaulting supporting gallery with ornate frieze; inscription to east side recording restoration. North and west screens to south chapel, made in 1889 from C17 panelling used for former Hildyard pew: blind elliptical-arched panels with ornate carved pilasters and spandrels, doors with cocks'-head hinges, restored balustrade above with drop-on-drop balusters. Good C17 octagonal wooden panelled pulpit supported on baluster-shaped column and brackets, with closed-string staircase and balustrade with corniced handrail, vase balusters with square and round knops and newel with vase finial; octagonal tester with fretwork frieze suspended on ornate wrought-iron bracket. Fielded-panel dado to nave and aisle made in 1889 from former box pews. Plain C14 octagonal font bowl on restored shaft and steps incorporating fragment of C13 incised graveslab. Fragments of C14-C15 stained glass in chancel south window (formerly in east window) with inscription and head of priest, perhaps William de Retherby. Royal Arms of 1792; 3 hatchments of Hildyard family. C18 chandeliers. Brass lectern of 1890 designed by Sir Gilbert Scott. The chancel screen is similar to that in St Mary's Church, Welwick (qv). N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, pp 370-371; M E Ingram, The Church of St Germain, Winestead, nd, 4pp; J Cornforth, "Winestead, Yorkshire", Country Life, 11 Sept 1980, pp 846-9; Victoria Country History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 155-6.
Listing NGR: TA2986223745
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 155-6
Ingram, M E, The Church of St Germain Winestead4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)
'Country Life' in 11 September, (1980), 846-9
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing