CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1161343
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161343.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:12:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wold Newton
National Grid Reference:
TF2419296781

Details

TF 29 NW WOLD NEWTON MAIN STREET (west side, off) 9/50 Church of All Hallows

4.1.67 II -

Parish church. 1862 by James Fowler of Louth, incorporating re-used medieval masonry. Squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof. 3-bay nave with west bellcote, south porch and single-bay apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Plinth, cill stringcourse, buttresses. Nave: 2-light plate-traceried windows with trefoils above lancets, stepped lancets to west within pointed ashlar panel. Octagonal ashlar bellcote corbelled-out from west gable, with side buttresses, shafted belfry openings and octagonal spirelet with miniature plate-traceried lucarnes and wrought iron cross finial. Lancets to chancel. Porch: moulded pointed outer door with small medieval carved stone figure re-set above. Interior. Painted shafts supporting double-chamfered chancel arch with painted rood screen bearing carved figures. Inscribed floor slabs at west end to Richard William Welfitt of 1716 and Maria Welfitt of 1717. Mid C14 font with octagonal bowl, column and base, the bowl carved with quatrefoil panels and inscribed in Latin "Pray for the souls of John and Johanna Curteys". Architectural fragments: series of eight Cll-C15 capitals and corbels with scalloped, stiff-leaf and plain mouldings re-set into nave and chancel walls, carrying C20 painted carved figures and with brass memorial plaques below; one corbel labelled "Bardney Abbey". C14 stained glass fragments re-set in trefoil of south window. Panels of medieval and post- medieval stained glass with central figures surrounded by mixed fragments are attached to the south and west windows. The architectural fragments were probably collected by W M Wright, 1873-1956. Painting dated 1861 hanging in nave shows former church with blocked south arcade. Sections of this building were reputed to have been incorporated in the south wall, though Fowler's plans indicate a complete rebuilding. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 428.

Listing NGR: TF2419296781

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164417
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 428

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/08115/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].