CHURCH OF ST WERBURGHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161531
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WERBURGHA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WERBURGHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161531.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 23:21:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WERBURGHA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Warbstow
National Grid Reference:
SX 20535 90344

Details

WARBSTOW SX 29 SW 3/249 Church of St Werburgha (previously listed as Church of St Werburgh) 22.11.60 GV II*

Church dedicated to St Werburgha. Probably Norman origins. C15 tower and north aisle. Restored in 1861. Stone rubble with moulded plinth. Roughly coursed and dressed stone to west tower and north aisle. Granite ashlar south porch. Slate roofs. Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, 5-bay north aisle and north porch. The church has Norman origins, the-west tower and north aisle added in circa late C15 and the north porch in 1601 (datestone). Restored in 1861. Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages, with battlemented parapet and corner finials. No west door,the west window possibly reset or reduced with a multiple moulded arch and jambs. 2-light cusped belfry openings with slate louvers. Nave has 3 square headed 3-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel has circa C13 2-light window and reset possibly C12 lancet window. C19 chancel window. The north aisle has complete circa late C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows and the north porch was added in 1601 with a 4-centred outer arch and has incised spandrels and datestone above. The gable parapet has scrolled kneelers. Inner doorway has a 2-centred arch, probably Polyphant stone with cavetto moulding decorated with raised carved fleurons; the arch was probably reset from the nave when the north aisle was added. Incised cross in roundel to right of right hand jamb. Niche above entrance with base of carved pedestal. Interior: C19. Plastered walls and C19 roofs. Type A (Pevsner) granite piers to the 5-bay north arcade with moulded caps and bases and 4-centred granite moulded arches. Simple C19 furnishings. Norman font; square bowl with stylised floral patterns on the four sides and carved heads on the corners. Octagonal stem and round base. Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970. Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall

Listing NGR: SX2053590344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68136
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01868/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Brenda Drodge. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].