CHURCH OF ST EUNY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161605
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EUNY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EUNY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161605.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:05:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EUNY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Redruth
National Grid Reference:
SW 69121 41232

Details

REDRUTH CHURCH TOWN SW 64 SE 5/252 Church of St Euny 1.12.51

GV II* Parish church. Late C15 tower, otherwise all rebuilt 1758, restored 1878, 1925 and 1958. Granite ashlar, slate roof. West tower; nave, aisles and chancel in one, under 3-span roof. The tall Perpendicular 3-stage tower has set-back buttresses, a moulded plinth, a prominent moulded band at ground floor and weathered bands above; the west doorway, Tudor-arched under a square, has carved spandrels and deeply moulded surround, and a deep hoodmould; a 2-centred arched 3-light window above the door, with Tudor- arched lights, hollow-moulded surround, and hoodmould; the 3rd stage has 3- light belfry windows with simple Perpendicular tracery in the heads, and stone louvres; 2 figured gargoyles above each belfry window, and a carved winged figure at each corner; embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles raised on slender turrets which have foiled panels. The aisles, in simple Georgian style, of 5 bays and externally of 2 unequal storeys, have a low 1st floor band, and symmetrically-arranged segmental-headed openings with keystones: doorways in the 1st and 5th bays (with panelled doors), short windows in the intermediate bays at ground floor, and tall windows in all bays above, mostly sashed and with many small panes but some of those at ground floor replaced with stained glass (and that in the centre of the north side with 2 stone mullions); modillioned eaves cornices, and coped gables. The triple-gabled east end has matching fenestration to the aisles, and a Venetian window in the wider centre. Interior: double-chamfered 2-centred tower arch with semi-octagonal responds which have foiled panels; otherwise, the C18 church is a single vessel with 5-bay aisle colonnades of Tuscan columns on tall stylobates, and with square entablatures supporting heavily-moulded longitudinal beams to a panelled flat ceiling; various C19 wall monuments; and at the west end of the north aisle, framed painted Arms of George III.

Listing NGR: SW6912141232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66806
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14227/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivor Corkell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].