This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

List entry Number: 1161827

Location

CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton St. Cyres

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 96381

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ST CYRES THE VILLAGE SX 89 NE 5/29 - Church of St Cyriac and St 26.8.65 Julitta

GV I Parish church. Earlier Medieval origins, extensively rebuilt with new north side in early C15. Porch probably added in late C16 - early C17. Restored 1914-21. Rubble walls include sections of dressed, volcanic (Posbury) stone. Beerstone details. Slate roofs. Early Perpendicular style throughout. Nave of 3 long bays with south porch and chapel: north aisle including Lady Chapel under separate roof: west tower. Some external detail restored but most tracery is original: window to left of porch with traces of early ;ink colour and hoods with carved faces: tower of 2 stages with low diagonal buttresses to west, embattled parapet and 5-sided stair-turret to south projecting above tower as an octagon with embattled parapet and C18, wrought-iron weathercock. C18 painted wooden clock-face remains on north side without the single hand. South porch has moulded, round-headed arch, small, beerstone niche under gable and ceiled, wagon-roof with carved bosses and crenellated wall-plates. North elevation divided into 5 bays by buttresses incorporating small beerstone, canopied niches, some of which contain contemporary figure sculpture, with embattled parapet and restored finials. Interior: nave, chancel and aisle have largely-original, ceiled, wagon-roofs with carved bosses. Tall, round-headed rear-arch of south door with chamfered surround. Mutilated stoup to left. Tall, unmoulded tower arch with imposts may be earlier than main build. South wall has blocked door to rood loft. Moulded chancel-arch to slightly lower chancel. 4-bay, Beerstone arcade between nave and aisle; moulded piers with foliate capitals (Pevsner's B-type). Similar double-thickness arch with recessed panels and trefoil heads between chancel and north aisle. Windows of north aisle have moulded rear-arches with shafts and capitals. In Lady Chapel piscina of c1400 with nodding ogee arch and pinnacled shafts. Nearby, in the east wall, the aumbry has small, C16. carved-oak door (probably Flemish). Late C19 reredos and C20 furnishings and font. In the tower stands a clock made 1711 by Lewes Pridham of Sandford (restored circa 1970). C17 framed staircase with turned balusters to first floor. C18 mahogony pulpit with large sounding board surmounted by guilded dove. C18 altar rails and C20 oak lectern includes C16 carved-chestnut panel, high quality Flemish or Spanish work, depicting Jesus washing his disciples feet. Near the south door unusual painted arms of James II, dated 1685. In north aisle four hatchments bearing Quicke-family arms. At east end of north aisle very fine, large, marble monument to Sir John Northcotte (1570-1632) of Hayne Barton, erected by his son whose lifesize figure kneels below with his wife and children. Sir John is represented in armour beneath the Northcotte arms and the heads of his father and grandfather, and is flanked by oral medallions showing half-profiles of his two wives. It is unrestored and retains some original paint. On the south wall of chancel, a small marble monument to the young Sherland Short (1632) represented as a student. Other good C17, C18 and C19 monuments. The bell chamber was not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX8793097997

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 87929 97996

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 05:19:47.

End of official listing