CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1163333
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163333.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 19:24:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Croydon
National Grid Reference:
TL 31544 49610

Details

CROYDON CHURCH LANE TL 34NW (West side) 8/24 Church of All Saints 22.11.67

GV II*

Parish church. C13 nave and C14 north and south aisles. C14-C15 west tower and later C17 or early C18 chancel. Fieldstone, brick, clunch rubble and dressed clunch. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and chancel. West tower of three stages. Parapet with main cornice and central gargoyle. Later diagonal buttressing. Newel stair turret in south west corner. Four centre arch to west window of two cinquefoil lights. Bell stage has two openings with trefoil heads in two centred arch. Nave without clerestory. South aisle probably rebuilt C14, but in origin C13. Fieldstone repaired in brick. Two cinquefoil light windows in square heads. Clunch. South doorway of two continuous moulded orders in two centred arch. South chapel, C14 origin, restored. South and East windows each of three cinquefoil lights in square head. Roof and gable end rebuilt. Three shields of arms reset in brickwork to gable end. Chancel c.1687, remodelled 1867. Fieldstone and brick with Ketton limestone dressings of C19. Interior: South arcade C13. Four bays of two chamfered orders in two centred aisles on octagonal columns with moulded capital and base. The bay at the west end was blocked and part fenestrated when the west tower was added in C15. North arcade c.1300 of four bays and two centred arches. Two chamfered orders with broach stops on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The roof of the south chapel has been rebuilt. In the east wall are two C14 niches with foiled heads flanking a three-light window. There is no chancel arch. Font: C12 bowl of limestone. Rectangular bowl with double rolls at the angles and plain bands at top and bottom.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) VCH: Cambs vol V

Listing NGR: TL3154449610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52687
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01734/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].