CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1164477
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:48:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Pancrasweek
National Grid Reference:
SS 29683 05821

Details

SS20NE PANCARSVEEK CP VILLAGE CENTRE

9/50 Church of St Pancras 14.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Chancel C13 in part, church rebuilt and enlarged C15, restored 1894-8 and largely reroofed, some restoration c1927. Squared and coursed local stone, granite dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. Undivided chancel and nave, north transept now vestry, 5-bay south aisle and porch, west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower with crocketed pinnacles, 2-light trefoil-headed louvred bell-openings, square-headed opening on second stage south face, stairlight openings in north-east corner, uncusped 3-light west window, round-headed west door with continuous haadmould'and moulded plinth. South aisle unlit west gable end, four uncusped 3-light windows, gabled porch with depressed Tudor-arch head between first and second bays left, slate floor laid chequerboard pattern, enriched ribs to ceiled barrel vault roof, depressed Tudor arch head doorway, C19 door; priest's door with segmental head between first and second bays right; east end of aisle 4-light cinquefoil-headed window, similar 3-light East window, rood stair projection at junction with north transept, 3-light square-headed mullioned window on east face of transept, similar hollow-chamfered window under hoodmould west gable end; North front of nave small square-headed north door probably rebuilt. Interior rendered, C19 stencilled fleur-de-lys and oak leaf decoration on chancel walls, renewed C20; exposed squared and coursed masonry in tower. To chancel arch, tower arch tall and narrow, chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts with unmoulded jambs; 5-bay arcade with 4-centred arches and clustered capitals, similar arch with diferent capitals to north transept. Depressed segmental head to hagioscope between north transept and chancel, door to roodloft opens into exterior wall but the stairs have gone, square- headed roodloft door remains above. Jambs of blocked opening visible in north wall of chancel, opening filled to make way for hagioscope and roodscreen. Square-headed aumbry recess in north chancel wall. Hoodmould with faces as stops to rere arch of East window. Chancel roof ceiled barrel vault with enriched ribs and angels projecting from wallplate, similar without angels to south aisle, moulded ribs to nave roof. Octagonal Norman font. Pulpit incorporating early C17 panels with sunflowers and guilloche bands. Other fittings c1900 including choir stalls with handsomely carved finials, lectern, altar rails, panelling to chancel, altar table and Perpendicular-style screens between chancel and south aisle, and between nave and vestry. Remains of early C16 bench ends preserved. C15 stained glass incorporated into East window: inscription states that "the C15 glass incorporated in this window erected in 1927 formed part of a window at Muchelney Abbey, Somerset, whence it was removed in about the year 1860". Silver processional cross, possibly C16 Spanish, presented in 1927 by the Wickett family. C18 slate tomb slabs with good lettering in nave, C17 slabs in vestry. The living was a chapelry of Bradworthy and by the end of the C19 was in a very poor state of repair. (Photograph in NMR; Holsworthy Deanery Magazine 22.10.1900; Stabb, Some Old Devon Churches, Vol 3, 1913)

Listing NGR: SS2968305821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91956
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stabb, J, Notes on some Old Devon Churches, (1913)
'Holsworthy Deanery Magazine' in 22 October, (1900)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13556/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brett Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].