Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 07:31:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 01418 80007


FOXHOLES HILL 1. 5176 (South Side) The Barn SY 08 SW 6/152 6.11.72. GV II* 2. 1897. E S Prior architect. One of the seminal buildings of the Arts and Crafts movement both in its plan and for its use of varied local vernacular materials. Coursed stone interspersed with random sections of cobbles of different sizes giving a richly textured appearance. Former thatched roof replaced by hipped slates after an early fire. The plan consists of 2 rectangular blocks set diagonally to each other. The entrance, in the angle, rises to a large wide slate hung gable jettied out in 2 stages, 3 storeys with symmetrically placed windows. Centre round arched door with lead panel and small Venetian window above. The outer blocks of 2 storeys with irregular fenestration. All windows have mullions (and, in some cases transoms) and leaded lights. The outer blocks of the garden elevation terminate in gables on their inner ends. These are linked by centre gable. Below are 1st floor windows with mullions and transom. On the ground floor is a verandah roof supported on granite columns. From each outer block rises a massive round stone chimney, each with stone cap supported by large carved balls. Interior features said to include galleried hall and fireplace with oak mantel. References:A Service. Edwardian Architecture and its Origins pages 143-145. Sir Bannister Fletcher. A History of Architecture pages 1166 and 1169.

Listing NGR: SY0141880007


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Fletcher, B, A History of Architecture1166, 1169
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture and its Origins, (1975), 143-145


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08280/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean M. King. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].