CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1165346
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CAISTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165346.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:27:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CAISTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Swallow
National Grid Reference:
TA 17613 03029

Details

TA 10 SE SWALLOW CAISTOR ROAD (north side)

2/21 Church of 1.11.66. Holy Trinity

II*

Parish church. Early C12, C13 1868, 1883. Ironstone rubble and ashlar. Slate roof with decorative red ridge tiles. West tower, nave with north aisle, south porch, rectangular chancel and north vestry. 2 stage west tower with early C12 lower stage with plinth and round headed west door with large impost blocks, C19 tympanum with oculus flanked by beaded tendrils and C20 plank door. Small round headed light above. C12 buttresses with 2 C19 setoffs visible where tower meets nave on north and south Bellchamber stage of 1868 with moulded stringcourse and bellchamber openings on all 4 sides each consisting of a single round headed opening flanked by plain shafts with cushion capitals and, on west and east bellopenings, chevron decoration. Clasping corner pilasters above stringcourse. Corbel table above and pyramidal aisle roof with weather vane. North aisle of 1883 with ashlar dressed plinth and moulded stringcourse. Pointed west window with trefoil headed light and trefoil above, hoodmould and crowned head labelstops. North aisle has 2 rectangular windows, that to west of 2 trefoil headed lights, to east of 3, both with rectangular hoodmoulds and floral label stops. Tall Tudor style ashlar chimney at east end of aisle. Low north vestry with plinth and row of 3 windows with Caenarvon leads. Chancel of 1868, with low plinth of north side, rising up on east side to run under pointed 3 light east window with C19 geometric tracery, hoodmould and floral label stops. Coped gable and finial above. Moulded stringcourse runs beneath 2 pointed windows on southside of chancel, that to the east with paired pointed lights and to the west a single cusped pointed light, all with hoodmoulds and floral labelstops: Large blocked south aisle chancel arcade to west. East end of nave has buttress with ashlar dressings and gabled lower setoff. 2 bays of pointed blocked south arcade visible on south wall of nave, with a pointed window of 3 trefoil headed lights inserted in east bay and ornate C19 wooden porch with panelling, battlement decoration cusped barge boards and finial, in west bay. Porch interior flanked by wooden benches and has plain pointed double chamfered doorway with moulded jambs, hoodmould, weathered labelstops and large corbelhead above. C12 interior tower arch with round head and plain impost blocks. Early C13 north arcade of 2 bays with double chamfered pointed arches. Plain semi-circular west respond supported by rectangular block with chipstar decoration. Round central pier with plain capital and moulded abacus. Plain semi-circular east respond supported by rectangular block with chamfered corners. C13 pointed double chamfered chancel arch with broad fillet moulding. Plain responds but north capital has band of chipstar decoration. C19 pointed double chamfered archway to organ recess and vestry with inner order supported by corbels and chamfered inter jambs. Small C19 arched doorway to east with chamfered surround, hoodmould, headlabelstops and plank door. Chancel has fragmentary freestanding cluster of C12 columns with cushion capitals and C19 bases and plinth C19 nave and chancel roofs with castellated decoration C12 drum front with 6 elliptical half moons at base. C19 ornate pink marble and ashlar pulpit. Late C19 lecturn, altar rail and pews. Various plain C19 monuments.



Listing NGR: TA1761303029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196376
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05657/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].