CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166092
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166092.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:55:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Osgodby
National Grid Reference:
TF 06328 92780

Details

TF 09 SE OSGODBY MAIN STREET (north side) Kirkby-cum-Osgodby

8/33 Church of St. Andrew 1-11-66 G.V. II*

Parish Church; early C13, early C14, C15, 1790, restoration dates of 1891, 1900, 1923; roughly coursed ironstone rubble, squared coursed limestone and ironstone, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower, in roughly coursed ironstone rubble, with plinth, 2 plain string courses, and C15 plain embattled parapet. There are corner buttresses to the 1st stage only. All faces have C13 paired belfry lights with mid wall shafts with projecting carved heads on central impost, and pointed arches. There are 2 weathered corner shutes below the parapet. The west end has a single C13 lancet to the first stage; heavily restored. The nave is in squared ironstone and limestone rubble with a slate roof. The north side has a short 1790 segmental headed window at high level, to light a former gallery, and 2 semi-circular headed tall 1790 windows. The chancel is in ironstone coursed rubble with lead roof and the north side has a C14 2 light window with Y tracery. The East end has a C14 3 light window with Y tracery. The south side of the chancel has one stepped buttress and a 3 light C20 window in C17 style and a similar 2 light window. Built into the wall is an early C13 decorated grave slab with circular cross motif. The fenestration of the south side of the nave is as the north side except that the windows have plain surrounds with carved heads at impost level. Part of a further C13 grave slab is built into the nave wall. The south door has a plain stone surround and an inserted C19 segmental head. Interior: The nave has plain plastered walls with a beaded and plaited plaster moulding which runs above the wainscotting and up around the window. The wainscotting is both panelled and boarded. The plaster ceiling has ornamenal rosettes at the lighting points. The C13 tower arch has double chamfers and octagonal responds. There is no chancel arch but flat reeded strips mark the chancel which is also set at a slight angle to the nave. The chancel roof is a C15 king post roof with one corbel head remaining from an earlier roof. At the east end is a trefoil headed piscina and on the north side a C13 double piscina with octagonal shaft and one quatrefoil stoup and one circular stoup. Monuments: In the chancel are 2 tomb chests to John and Margaet Wildbore. On the north side, in front of the piscina, is an effigy of a lady, late C14, in sunken relief with her head on a cushion with 2 angels either side all under an ogee arch. At her feet is a small dog. The tomb base is decorated with shields and heraldic emblems and inscribed in Latin around the top. On the south side is a late C14 knight, in high relief, in perfect condition, in full armour, and with a rebus of a wild boar on his middle. The tomb chest is of similar design to the lady's and the other side of the chest has been set up against the south wall so that the full inscription can be seen. The font is C18, a plain circular bowl on a bulbous pedestal. At the west end of the nave is a Georgian Royal Coat of Arms.

Listing NGR: TF0632892780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196513
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05656/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].