CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166344
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:48:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Mavis Enderby
National Grid Reference:
TF 36347 66577

Details

MAVIS ENDERBY CHURCH LANE TF 36 NE (east side) 2/24 Church of St. Michael 3.2.67 G.V. II* Parish church. C14, C15, restored by James Fowler 1875 and tower rebuilt 1894 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Squared greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, Welsh and Westmorland slate roofs, decorative tiled ridges. Nave, western tower, south aisle and porch, chancel. 3 stage C15 tower largely rebuilt C19 with stepped corner buttresses, plain,parapet, crocketed corner pinnacles. Bell moulded base, 3 chamfered string courses. To the belfry stage C19 3 light louvred openings with trefoil heads to the lights and panel tracery. On the south side a 2 light C17 window to second stage with moulded surround and chamfered mullion. Beneath to first stage a datestone of 1684 on moulded plaque. On the west side a 4 centred arched doorway with moulded surround and hood mould. Above a 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights and panel tracery. To the second stage a datestone of 1894. The north side of the nave has a C15 4 centred arched doorway with moulded surround and 2 C14 3 light windows with reticulated tracery. The C19 vestry has a narrow west doorway and 3 light north window. The east end is C19 with 3 light window in C15 style. The south side of the chancel has 2 C19 2 light windows with cusped heads and quatrefoil over. The south aisle has a C19 east window and 2 early C15 3 light windows, one with cusped head to the lights and panel tracery, the other with ogee heads to the lights. The nave is lit by 3 C19 gabled dormer windows with 3 ashlar cusped lights. Gabled C19 south porch with side lights, pointed C19 outer doorway with above a figure of St. Michael and the dragon in a pointed oval surround with small side shafts. C14 continuously moulded inner door with fleuron frieze. Holy water stoup on clustered shaft with shield and fleuron decoration to the bowl. Interior. C15 octagonal piers to 3 bay south nave arcade with double chamfered arches. Restored C15 tower arch with octagonal imposts and double chamfered arch. C15 chancel double chamfered arch with hollow chamfered reveals and imposts. C19 arch in north wall of chancel to vestry. C19 piscina and fireplace in vestry. C19 aumbry in north wall of chancel. C19 roofs and pews. C19 stained glass throughout. C19 tiled floor to nave. Rustic carved wooden angel over north door presumably from earlier roof. C14 octagonal font with ogee panels to the bowl.

Listing NGR: TF3634766577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196147
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04071/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].