- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- FRYERN COURT, FRYERN COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166571.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2021 at 23:12:48.
- Statutory Address:
- FRYERN COURT, FRYERN COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- New Forest (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 14275 16174
1830/5/84 FRYERN COURT 30-SEP-64 UPPER BURGATE Fryern Court
House, with attached stable. Second half C15 or early C16 for Beaulieu Abbey; alterations and additions C16, C17, C18 and early-C19; and circa 1932 by Christopher Nicholson for Augustus John. Older parts timber-framed, part on rubblestone ground floor, with brick infill and additions and old plain tile roofs; early-C19 range of yellow brick with hipped Welsh slate roof and brick chimneys. Two-storey 3-bay floored hall-range with 2-storey 2-bay cross-wing at left (south) end and C18 2-storey 2-bay addition with rear outshut at right end. Further 2-bay wing, formerly 2-storeyed, attached to rear of cross-wing, but off-set rather than in-line. Early-C19 range, of 2 storeys with attic and partial cellar, 6 bays, built across east front of cross-wing and hall-range, leaving exposed one bay of hall-range and C18 addition.
East (entrance) elevation: C19 range: near-central 1930s porch and entrance. 2 + 3 full-height 15-pane sashes to ground floor, 6 unevenly-spaced sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor, all in reveals with gauged flat brick arches and projecting sills. Eaves band. Modillion brackets to oversailing low-pitched roof with flat-roofed dormers set in front of tall end-stacks. At left end, 1930s single-storey flat-roofed extension with balustrade. At right end, the former timber-framed range is clad in red brick with some burnt headers in Flemish bond. To 1st floor, on left, a 2-light wood-framed window has a leaded casement with iron stanchion. Right gable has exposed timbers. Large multiple-flue brick end-stack shared with added, lower, extension which is of red brick in various bonds, part painted, and with bellcote and half-hipped roof at right end.
Rear: mostly pebble-dashed and all painted. Former hall range, slightly lower than C19 range, has flat-roofed canted-bay window flanked by paired sashes and, above, 3 horned 12-pane sashes which break through eaves; brick stack rises from front roof pitch to right of centre. Former cross-wing, projecting on right, has a window of 3 narrow lights with leaded casements to ground floor, and on left, added porch with 1st-floor room over; end stack. Projecting further rearwards is the other former-wing, subsequently outbuilding, with stable attached (alterations and stable of C18). It has 3 lunette windows with glazing bars, and 3 board doors, that on right to stable and with loft taking-in hatch above set under hipped roof with slate-hung cheeks.
Interior: former hall range has large-scantling spine-beams with deep chamfers and stepped-cyma stops. At left end, traces of stencil decoration on soffits of beams and close-set large-scantling joists with carpenters? marks and stopped chamfers. At right end, pieces of medieval masonry set in end-wall. C18/early-C19 features which include large fireplace with plain surround; bow-fronted dresser with stairs rising behind; board-lined walls with strap-hinged doors; and brick stair down to cellar revealing former east wall of hall range which has small square panels with brick infill. 1st floor: folding shutter to front window; exposed curved wind-braces and large-scantling purlins. In roof, old timbers, those at left end charred. Former cross-wing: rear wall, within boiler house, has rubblestone ground floor and close-studded timber-framing above with herring-bone brick infill; the left-hand wall at rear end (within basement) has a stone pier with chamfer to right side and large-scantling post on left. Rear bay has close-set joists as in hall range. In roof, large-scantling timbers include collared principal rafter roof trusses with queen-struts and two tiers of stop-chamfered through purlins; curved wind-braces; pegged common rafters. Former rearmost wing: walls formerly close-studded; the rear (west) wall with later square-panelled brick-infilled timber-framing, and the right (north) wall removed when the wing was enlarged with an outshut making use of earlier cruck-blades. Much original timber-framing remains, including jowelled wall-posts, arch-braced to tie-beams and wall-plate; collared principal rafter roof trusses with queen posts and straight angle braces, and with upper v-braces at closing (west) truss; through purlins; curved wind-braces. Remains of C19 hand-pump and mechanisms. Early-C19 range: decorative fireplaces; 6-panel doors; dog-leg stair with turned balusters and ramped hand-rail; in attic, 2-panel doors, leaded casement windows, and butt purlin roof. Stable: two large stalls with boarded walls and gates; brick-paved floor; bow-fronted shelved corner cupboard; large-scantling beams and joists and wide floor-boards to loft floor.
Information provided by Edward Roberts. E Hockey, Beaulieu: King John?s Abbey, pp. 36-8, 166, 197. Victoria County History of Hampshire, Vol. iv, pp. 565 & 571.
Listing NGR: SU1427716193
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 565, 571
Roberts, E, Hockey, E, Beaulieu: King John's Abbey36-8, 166
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing