HUDDLESTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1167923
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1952
Statutory Address:
HUDDLESTON HALL, LAITH STAID LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167923.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 00:57:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUDDLESTON HALL, LAITH STAID LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Huddleston with Newthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 46666 33979

Details

HUDDLESTON WITH NEWTHORPE LAITH STAID LANE SE 43 SE (south side) 6/12 Huddleston Hall 4.7.52 II* GV Manor house. Late C16. For the Hungate family. Huddleston limestone coursed squared stone with brick upper sections of stacks and stone slate roof. H-shaped on plan. 2 storeys with attics and with cellar to left, single-bay wings with single-bay centre. Plinth. Quoins. Centre has 2 Tudor-arched entrances with quoined and chamfered jambs, that to left now partly-blocked, that to right with studded 5-long-panel door. Between these a 5-light mullion and transom window within double-chamfered surround. First-floor band continues across wings. Similar window to first floor under hood-mould. Gable to centre contains 3-light mullion window. Wings have 3-light mullion and transom windows with partly-blocked 3-light mullion windows to gables. 2-light mullion and transom windows to inner returns. Windows mainly have leaded diamond panes. Shaped kneelers and ashlar coping. Massive stack to centre rear and to left side with side and rear end stacks to wings. Further mullion windows, some with transoms to other elevations. Interior: has dog-leg, closed-string service staircase with remains of large, turned balusters. Reputed to have contemporary main staircase with similar balusters now boarded in. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p276. Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, p 71. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol XXI, p 202.

Listing NGR: SE4666633979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326350
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 71
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 276
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 21, (1911), 202

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].