CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1168027
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168027.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:22:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Credenhill
National Grid Reference:
SO 45030 43882

Details

SO 44 SE; 5/32

CREDENHILL CP, CREDENHILL

Church of St Mary

27.01.67

GV

I

Parish church. C12 nave, chancel arch c1200, chancel 1300, C14 west tower, C15 south porch, restoration of 1861 and 1876. Coursed sandstone rubble, coursed and squared sandstone rubble to west tower, part timber-framed south porch, Welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and north vestry.

West tower: three stages with squat pyramidal roof, two string courses, plain corbel table below roof, trefoiled-ogee headed light to second stage and plain square-headed vent to bell stage. Nave: one C19 window with two cusped lights and quatrefoil to left and two similar C19 windows, one with trefoil, to right of south porch. The north wall retains a C13 lancet and a late C13 window of two trefoil-headed lights and trefoil. South porch: timber- framed on sandstone plinth, moulded main posts with capitals to outer doorway, moulded braces to tie beam, cusped struts above, close studding to returns, moulded purlins and rafters with bosses at intersections to roof. Chancel: early C14 trefoil-headed light to left, C14 ogee-headed light and early C14 window of two trefoil-headed lights with trefoil to right of re-set c1200 semi-circular headed doorway. North wall retains an early C14 window of two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil partly obscured by the C19 vestry. East window: mid-C14 three trefoiled ogee-headed lights with flowing tracery.

INTERIOR: Nave: C13 three-bay roof with intermediate trusses, main trusses have collars and moulded tie beams with inclined struts; open arch-braced intermediate trusses with trefoils in spandrels. Two rows of purlins with wind bracing, chancel roof appears altered retaining some original members. Chancel arch; C13 two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, outer continuous, plain impost to inner, flanked by C19 cusped openings (possibly pierced side altars). Fittings: Font dated 1667 with inscription, the gift of John Squier of Colford, moulded base and stem, cylindrical bowl with fluting and rosettes, bread and reel mouldings below capping. Monuments: Cholmeley memorial wall monument 1669 broken-segmental pediment supported on Ionic columns commemorates John Cholmeley, Armiger. Stained glass: fragment of C14, figure of bishop and figure of archbishop in south-west window of chancel, possibly St Thomas of Canterbury and St Thomas of Hereford, further fragments in north-east window of nave.

Listing NGR: SO4502943883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154217
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 64-65
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 107-108

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11198/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer McKirdy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].