CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168096.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:55:42.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- East Kirkby
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 33278 63042
TF 36 SW EAST KIRKBY CHURCH LANE
Parish church. C13, C14, C16, extensively restored C19 and 1904- 6. Greenstone, ashlar, red brick patching. Lead roofs. Coped gables. Single ridge cross to the east nave and finial to the west nave. The chancel gable with decorative ridge finial and decorative kneelers. Nave, south and north aisles, south porch tower and chancel. West nave with single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery and hood mould. West wall of north aisle with buttress dated 1905. North wall set on a chamfered plinth with blocked and part glazed chamfered arched doorway with hood mould. To the left set into former blocked archway is a single window dated 1585 with 3 four centred arched lights with recessed panelled spandrels under a flat arch. To the right is evidence of a single opening and set higher evidence of a former window opening. To the left is evidence of a C14 window opening with remains of a single ogee arched light under a flat arch. Worn C14 ogee arched piscina further left. The east wall of the aisle has a single C14 arched 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould. The chancel is set onto a moulded plinth. The north wall has a single small C13 pointed arched window with 2 trefoil arched lights and single qautrefoil over. Above is a single C14 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left is a single similar window. Above in the C20 clerestorey are 3 windows each with 3 cinquefoil ogee arched lights under a flat arch. To the left is a single panel with blind, cusped tracery. Flanking the windows and the panel are single cavetto moulded strips supported on decorative corbels. The east chancel dated 1905 has a single arched 4 light window with flowing tracery, hood mould, label stops and finial. Continuous sill band. Either side are single similar panels each flanked by single similar cavetto strips supported on decorative corbels. The south chancel has a single pointed segmental arched 3 light C14 window with cusped panel tracery. To the left is a moulded 4 centred arched doorway with blind traceried spandrels under a flat arch. Further left is a single similar 3 light window. Clerestorey corresponds to the north. The south aisle is set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C14 arched 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould. The south wall has 2 C19 windows each with cusped tracery under a flat arch, that on the right with 2 lights and that on the left with 3 lights. To the left is the tower. Set on a chamfered plinth with moulded bands over, of 3 stages with bands and brick embattlements. The south side with moulded arched entrance, over is a single C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. South bell chamber opening with 2 arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch, east side with single pair of C13 pointed arched lights, west side with 2 lights under a flat arch. Interior of porch with C14 quadripartite vault with human head boss. Each side wall with 2 bay C14 blind arcading. Double chamfered arched inner doorway. To the left is a single C19 window with 2 arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcades with octagonal columns on high bases and earlier plinths. Moulded capitals, the responds being corbels supporting moulded capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch the inner order supported on octagonal responds. Restored C14 screen with mouchettes and cusped panel tracery, further fragments of restored C14 screens dividing vestry, north organ and south chantry chapel. C14 ogee arched doorway to tower stairs. South and north walls of chancel with low C13 pointed arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery. The south side now blocked, the north with shutters. North wall with low piscina with open trefoil arch. Further piscina with reredos composed of C14 fragments including 3 carved half figures holding objects. Crocketed canopies over with 2 trefoil arches above with continuous hood mould and human head label stops, further decorated with naturalistic flowers and foliate and bands of diaper. South aisle south wall with C14 trefoil arched piscina and to the left of the doorway a blocked stoup. North wall with aumbry and blocked windows, door and C14 arcade opening, this led to a chantry demolished C16. One window now part blocked with painted inscription. Remains of some C15 bench ends with carved poppy heads. Heavily restored font the pedestal and bowl decorated with cusped tracery and further decoration to bowl of carved heads and foliate. Decorative C19 pulpit. 4 boards inscribed with biblical texts and dated 1819. South aisle with C14 floor slab to Sir Robert Sylkestone decorated with incised stylised cross.
Listing NGR: TF3327863042
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing