HACCOMBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1168230

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: HACCOMBE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HACCOMBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:03:00.

Location

Statutory Address: HACCOMBE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Haccombe with Combe

National Grid Reference: SX 89822 70124

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HACCOMBE-WITh-COMBE HACCOMBE SX 87 SE

9/108 Haccombe House (formerly listed as Hacombe School) 23.8.55

GV II*

Large house, divided into flats. An early C19 remodelling of an C18 house ; there is some uncertainty about the exact date and extent of the early C19 rebuilding. White's Devonshire (1879) describes it as "built on the site of an ancient hall, in 1805"; according to Pevsner it was "called 'lately erected in 1803, but also 'built about 50 years ago' in 1872". Boyd and Whiteaway refer to "changes including the building of the north east wing and the demolition of the north west wing" in circa 1838. The north-west end of the house is not shown in Swete's watercolour of the 1790s. The manor was owned by Stephen de Haccombe after 1066 and passed into the hands of his descendents, the Carews, who owned it until 1942. Snecked red sandstone, formerly stuccoed, with rusticated quoins and stone bands ; 2-span slate roof, hipped at ends with a dentil eaves cornice ; rendered stacks. Plan: Symmetrical main block facing north-west with a central entrance into a heated entrance hall, open well stair in stair hall to the right. Lower, separately roofed blocks to left and right, front left (north-east) wing. Exterior: Stone banding and rusticated quoins throughout, the north east wing is rendered. 3-storey main block, the remainder 2 storeys. Symmetrical 7-bay entrance (north-west) elevation, the centre 3 bays broken forward. Stone pilasters mentioned in the old list description no longer exist. Central porch with paired Ionic columns, reeded pilasters to the rear with a cornice and balustraded parapet. Small front door with a needed doorcase, broken pediment and deep rectangular fanlight, the glazing bars mentioned in the old list description do not survive. 12-pane C19 sashes to ground and first floor, 6-pane to second floor, all with moulded architraves. A 2-storey block adjoining at the right end has tripartite 2-pane sashes ; the left end block has a tripartite first floor sash, the ground floor sash adapted as a doorway. The north east wing has a 6-bay front elevation with. giant pilasters, the centre 4 bays broken forward under a pediment, a 4-bay portico with Tuscan columns and a cornice and parapet with sunk panels. The rear (south-east) elevation of the main block is similar to the front elevation but longer, 9 bays, the windows centre of the bays on the ground floor recessed below 3 reeded round-headed arches. The eaves cornice is missing and the second storey windows have been reglazed. The right return of the main block has 2 large stuccoed canted bays on the ground floor with C20 windows and doors. The rear elevation of the north-east wing has the centre 4 bays broken forward under a gable, the round-headed windows recessed behind round-headed openings. Interior: Not thoroughly inspected but surviving features seen at time of survey appear to be early C19 : plaster cornice and marble chimneypiece to entrance hall, large open well stair with twisted balusters. Group value with Church of St Blaise.

Pevsner, South Devon (1952). Boyd, M and Whiteaway, P.R., Haccombe with Combeinteignhead Parish History (n.d.) p. 33.

Swete, the Reverend John, 'Swete's Picturesque Sketches of Devon', vol. 10 (1795), Ms held in D.R.Q.

Listing NGR: SX8981970125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85771

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Boyd, M H A, Whiteaway, P, Haccombe with Combeinteignhead Parish History33
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)
Swete, J, Swetes Picturesque Sketches of Devon, (1792-1801)
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1879)

End of official listing