Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168767.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 15:44:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
Great Hale
National Grid Reference:
TF 14841 42928


GREAT HALE CHURCH STREET TF 1442-1542 (south side) 12/39 Church of St.John the Baptist 1/2/67 G.V. I

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C17, restored 1896-7 by Hodgson Fowler. Nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, plain tiled and copper roofs. 3 stage Cll tower of plain unbuttressed 'Lincolnshire' type, embattled C15 parapet and crocketted angle pinnacles. The belfry stage has paired round headed lights with circular midwall shafts with cushion capitals. The ground floor window on the south side has 2 orders of cable moulding to the narrow head. The north aisle is C14 with a moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and hollow chamfered eaves course. To the west is a 3 light window with C19 cusped flowing tracery. The 4 three light windows to the north also have cusped C19 tracery with pointed heads to the lights and trefoils. The north door is C14 with angle shafts to the jambs and deeply moulded pointed head. To the east is a matching 4 light window. In the blocking of the chancel arch is a C16 4 centred arched doorway with above, a 5 light C19 window with intersecting tracery. C14 window to east wall of south aisle of 4 lights with fine flowing cusped tracery to the head, trefoils and attenuated quatrefoils. C14 south aisle with stepped buttresses and 5 three light intersecting Y traceried windows with pointed heads and chamfered surrounds. To the west is a single similar window. Gabled C14 south porch with setback buttresses and statue niche to the gable now containing a C19 carving of Our Lord. Moulded and pointed outer arch with angle shafts and hood with beast head stops. Side benches. The inner door is also C14 with a continuous chamfered surround. Interior: 5 bay C13 north and south arcades, slender circular keeled responds with annular capitals supporting double chamfered arches with hollow moulded hoods and human head stops. Cll tower arch, round headed with chamfered imposts. Blocked C14 chancel arch, hollow moulded with circular shafted reveals and annular capitals. In the north aisle is a C14 piscina with cusped gabled head and 2 plain aumbries. There is an early C14 piscina in the south aisle with cusped trefoil to the pointed head, also a Caernarvon arched doorway to the rood loft. Fittings: are C19 and C20 apart from the late C17 altar rails with turned balusters and the C14 octagonal font with sunk quatrefoils to the sides and cusped headed statue niches to the sides and stem. C18 ogee shaped wooden cover with blank cusped panel decoration. Reset round the font is some late C18 softwood panelling. Above the north door is a fine carved and painted Royal Arms of George III dated 1801. Monuments: in the north aisle a wall monument to Robert Cawdron, d.l665, showing deceased and 3 wives all kneeling and in 2 tiers of free standing figures. Above a scrolled broken pediment with shield of arms and beneath a scrolled rectangular inscription panel. Also a brass plaque to Frances Cawdron, d.1650. An ashlar wall plaque to Robert Cawdron, d.1714, Doric columns support a broken segmental pediment with paterae and flaming urn. Also a further alabaster wall plaque to Sir Robert Cawdron, d.1652, in the form of an aedicule with broken pediment with escutcheon and line carvings of weepers beneath. On the south wall is a wall plaque with scrolls and acanthus leaves to the wife of Robert Cawdron, d.1733. In the south aisle (vestry) are 2 early C19 white marble plaques to members of the Dawson family.

Listing NGR: TF1484442923


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07207/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].