Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169256.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:27:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 00137 20461



7/87 - Church of All Saints 5.4.66 GV II*

Parish church. Tower probably C14, upper stage rebuilt 1854-6, the rest of the church completely rebuilt 1854-6 by Benjamin Ferrey for A.H.D. Troyte who designed some of the details himself; north aisle added 1871 after Troyte's death but probably also designed by Ferrey. Stone rubble with Ham Hill dressings, Sussex tiled roof with crested ridge tiles. Plan: of west tower, nave, chancel, north transept, l-bay south aisle east of the porch- only, 2-bay north aisle, south porch, south east vestry. The design is unusual, the short south aisle with a lean-to roof conceived as a children's aisle, judging from interior fittings. Stylistically a mixture of Perpendicular and Decorated with high quality details and rich in C19 fittings. Exterior: Decorated windows to the chancel, the east window designed by Troyte, the north window a re-used Decorated medieval window with volcanic tracery; good carved label stops to the 1850s windows and a stone wall-plate carved with ballflowers. Gabled north transept, north side windows square-headed Perpendicular style. South aisle and vestry with lean-to roofs; 2-centred doorway into vestry; mixture of square-headed and arched south side windows: all windows have C19 saddle bars and trefoil-headed stanchions. Slim battlemented west tower without pinnacles, partly medieval, partly rebuilt in the 1850s when it was "taken down to the upper string, and a turret was raised at the north-east angle". It is not clear from this whether the entire projecting rectangular turret is C19 or only the upper portions-. All the openings appear to be C19, west doorway, Perpendicular west window; plate-traceried belfry openings, bellringers' opening on south face. Coped gabled south porch with C19 moulded outer and inner doorways and C19 arched brace roof. Interior: Good C19 fittings and a series of C19 windows which add to the internal coherence. Plastered walls; timber chancel arch; rounded tower arch springing from plain imposts; 3-bay north arcade (1 bay to the transept) with double-chamfered cranked arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and carved corbels to the responds; similar arch into south aisle. Unceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel, the chancel roof boarded above the sanctuary and with carved timber corbels below the wall-plate. Unceiled keeled wagon to north transept, boarded lean-to roof to south aisle panelled with applied mouldings and stars; collar rafter roof to north aisle. Good tiled floors throughout, more richly decorated in the sanctuary and chancel which has an inlaid brass commemorating Dr Troyte, died 1852. C20 timber reredos, the 1850s communion boards now sited below the tower. 1850s timber altar rail and choir stalls with carved ends; low timber chancel screen incorporating fragments of medieval tracery; eagle lectern fixed to screen. The nave has an 1850s timber pulpit incorporating circa early C16 bench ends; octagonal stone font commemorating Fanny Troyte, died 1856; set of C19 bench ends with foliage carving. C19 lamp-holders survive intact ; fine brass and inlay nave corona. The east wall of the south aisle is filled with a large painting on tin of St Agnes, commemorating Agnes Mills, died 1895. Carefully-designed C19 stained glass by Wailes: grisaille designs to the chancel, quarries with texts to the nave and aisles, the texts in the south aisle indicating its function as a children's aisle. West window of north aisle pictorial, incorporating late C15 fragments. Various texts on tin survive from the 1850s rebuilding. Commemorative brass to Troyte and his wife in north aisle erected by his children. Troyte was High Church patron with an active involvement in the restoration of Huntsham and other churches in the Diocese. A full account of his rebuilding of Huntsham is given in the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society After Troyte's death Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt Huntsham Court (qv), adjacent to the church, with which it forms an important C19 group.

Hughes, J.R."The Restoration of Huntsham Church", Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society, VI, (1861), 220-230.

Listing NGR: ST0013720461


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society' in Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society, , Vol. 6, (1861), 220-230


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12498/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].