CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1169464
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169464.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:43:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirby Bedon
National Grid Reference:
TG 27855 05440

Details

KIRBY BEDON TG 20 NE 2/28 Church of St. Andrew 26/11/59 II* Parish church. C14 with C15 alterations. Original south porch 1479. Restored, re-seated, re-roofed and parts of walls rebuilt in 1876. New tower and south porch 1885 by R.M. Phipson. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower with string courses defining each stage. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Spherical triangles light ringing chamber. 2-light quatrefoil vesica belfry windows and a flushwork crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with 2-light side windows under square heads protects C12 south doorway : one order colonnettes terminating in a cushion capital to the west and a crocket capital to the east; square imposts support round arch with a single bold roll moulding. C13 plank doorway with iron strapwork and circular striking plate. Arched and chamfered north doorway with simple plank door, also C13. Nave lit through 2 2-light square-headed C19 Perpendicular windows each side. Similar chancel side windows, one of those to north removed to accommodate lean-to C20 vestry. 3-light intersecting chancel east window. Interior. C19 tower arch. Scissor braced nave roof 1876 with ashlaring. Octagonal early C15 font with trefoiled statuary niches to stem. 2 cusped arches to each bowl panel. Panelled polygonal early C18 pulpit. Renewed chancel arch responds support a double chamfered arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of 1876. C17 altar rails with heavy turned balusters. Bench sedilia and plain piscina. Wall monument to Robert Sheppard and wife, Anne. 1600. Painted plaster and stone. Architectural frame with strapwork decoration contains square recessed niche in which the two figures kneel to right and left of prayer desk. Figures in Elizabethan costume. Above is a strapwork archievement. Predella contains latin inscription. Below is a scrolled apron with coat of arms. Brass to William Dussyng and wife in nave 1505 : figures portrayed naked under shrouds. In chancel a brass with heart and inscribed ribbon scrolls, the inscription now illegible. Various other inscriptions to now missing brasses in nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: TG2785505440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227166
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01831/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].