Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1169839
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Stalham Road, East Ruston, NR12 9HN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169839.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:14:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Stalham Road, East Ruston, NR12 9HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
East Ruston
National Grid Reference:
TG 36425 28670

Details

TG 32 NE 7/32

EAST RUSTON STALHAM ROAD Church of St. Mary

16.4.55

II*

Redundant parish church. C14, remodelled C15, north aisle removed 1778, chancel restored 1887, font restored 1884, tower restored 1985-86. Flint (Quaternary) with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings and some brick. Pantiled nave roof, lead south aisle and chancel.

Three stage west tower with angle buttresses. Blocked cusped ground floor light. Above string course a further blocked window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber, that to north blocked. Two-light cusped belfry windows with central mullions removed. Crenellated parapet.

West window of south aisle blocked, was two-light ogeed of c.1340. Aisle with angle corner buttresses, stepped buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded archway below ogeed statuary niche. Porch bites into earlier nave buttress. Three three-light Perpendicular aisle windows under depressed arches and one two-light Y traceried window, the former C15, the latter C18. String course runs below windows and round buttresses. Three-light C15 east window to aisle under pointed arch. Two two-light south chancel windows separated by stepped buttress. Diagonal east buttresses. Five-light cusped intersecting chancel east window. North chancel wall with one stepped buttress and one window blocked with brick. Brick north nave wall supported by stepped buttresses, all of 1778, reusing three C15 Perpendicular arched windows.

Interior. Five bay south arcade of octagonal piers on moulded polygonal bases and with similar capitals. Double chamfered arches. Low tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch contemporary with and identical to nave arcade details. Slightly barrelled boarded and plastered nave roof. Unpretentious south aisle roof of principals and one tier butt purlins. South aisle chapel boasts two steps up to a pedestal and a cusped piscina. Chancel screen of two bays right and left of arched opening. Traceried dado panels with paintings of Angels and St. Gregory, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine and St. Gerome. Arched tracery panels above are multiply cusped and carried on moulded and painted muntins. On the east side the inner muntins bear carved lions. Chancel roof retains two C15 bays: ties on arched braces and three tiers butt purlins, all relocated 1887 to form flat roof and boarded above tie beams. Cusped piscina in south chancel wall. Octagonal C15 font altered in 1884 restoration. Traceried stem with demons at foot and angel heads at top supporting bowl. Bowl with heads and symbols of four Evangelists.

Listing NGR: TG3642528670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224247
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 18 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08609/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Mathers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].