CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1169968
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169968.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:52:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Honing
National Grid Reference:
TG 33397 29989

Details

HONING CROSTWIGHT TG 32 NW 6/65 Church of All Saints 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. Substantially early C14, restored C19. Flint (partly knapped) with ashlar dressings. Nave roof of black glazed pantiles, chancel of thatch. West tower, nave and chancel. 2 stage tower, the top stage removed 1910. Diagonal western buttresses. Pointed lancet west window. Small rectangular ringing chamber windows. Stairs at north-west corner. Triangular-headed window on east face below old roof line. Low pyramid roof to tower, tiled, of 1910. Square south porch with diagonal buttresses. Chamfered entrance arch on semi-circular responds with crenellated capitals and polygonal bases. This arch of rendered brick. Over arch a niche left and right. Plain parapet with roll moulded top. One arched lancet left of porch. 2 restored Y tracery windows to right separated by stepped buttress, repeated in north nave wall. Brick eaves cornice to nave. Eastern nave gable head on carved heads. South chancel wall pierced by 2 2-light trefoiled square-headed windows, between which are arched priests' door and wall monument to John Watts 1709 : square base below coved set-back inscription panel with architrave standing on scrolled bases. Brick dentiled chancel eaves. Diagonal east buttresses flank 3-light C14 elongated reticulated east window. One 2-light Y traceried north chancel window. North nave door with roll and chamfer mouldings. Interior. Double chamfered tower doorway. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal reponds and capitals. C19 scissor braced nave roof and similar chancel roof, but of heavier timbers. C13 octagonal font. Central Purbeck marble column and bowl with 8 subsidiary stone columns. Facets of bowl with 2 incised arches. Excellent late C14 wall paintings on north nave wall. To left of north doorway Annunication to The Virgin, to right of door St. Christopher. To east between nave windows the Scenes of the Passion, some no longer decipherable. These extend into jamb of eastern nave window. C15 chancel screen of 3 bays right and left of cusped ogeed central opening. Ogeed lights above dado mainly of C19. Dado with quatrefoils in base of each panel and cusped and sub-cusped arches at top in the spandrels of which are carvings of winged angels, animals, sacred heart and other subjects.

Listing NGR: TG3339729989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224279
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06094/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].