CHURCH OF ST EADBURGA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EADBURGA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170800.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 04:22:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EADBURGA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 18371 39992
SP 1840-1940 EBRINGTON EBRINGTON VILLAGE
13/27 Church of St. Eadburga 25.8.60
Church of St. Eadburga. Norman nave, north and south doors. C13 south porch/aisle and chancel. Perpendicular west tower. Restoration and vestry by Hunt 1875-6. South aisle/porch, nave and chancel, ashlar with the exception of a short length of limestone rubble walling at south west corner of nave. Chancel buttressed on south, nave buttressed on north. 2 stage tower of ashlar with diagonal west buttresses, embattlemented parapet with 4 pinnacles. Enriched string below. Four, 2-light belfry windows, with quatrefoils and limestone, slate louvres. Limestone slate roof with slightly stepped coping, decorative, roll, gable and eaves finials. Nave, with chancel and W tower, porch/aisle on S. C19 vestry onto N wall of chancel. Doorway of S porch: pointed with deep, moulded architrave. Norman S doorway within with 3 orders of chevron moulding, diaper work on the hympanum, restored jamb shafts with carved capitals. Early oak studded door with strap hinges with iron fastening bar approximately 2 metres in length. 2-light, stone-mullioned window in left wall of porch with eroded stone memorial tablet to members of the Keyt family on left wall outside. South wall: two 2-light, pointed, C19 windows with cusping and hoods with diamond shaped stops of S aisle. East wall: C13, Y traceried window with cusped lights. South wall of chancel: one 3-light, pointed, C19 traceried window. plank priest's door with decorative hinges in deeply moulded pointed surround with hood, right. Scratched sundial dated 1625 and arms of the Keyt's family over. Pointed 3-light C19 window in E wall. North wall of chancel: one pointed, 3-light, C19 traceried window. North wall nave: 2 pointed, C19 2-light traceried windows flanking blocked, round-headed Norman doorway. Pointed west door to tower similar to priest's door but with stopped hood. All windows except east window of chancel have C19 diamond leaded lights. Flat headed C13 window with 2-lights with trefoil heads in south west corner of nave. Interior: Simple nave with C19 timber roof with tie beam, arched braces below and king post with curved braces above. South aisle of 2 bays separated from nave by 2 flat chamfered pointed arches rising from rectangular piers. Tall, pointed arch with carved heads under abaci and remains of zig-zag painting on chamfers to tower. Step up to chancel through flat chamfered, pointed arch with engaged round columns. Quatrefoil window to south aisle from porch. Blocked squint and entrance to rood, at east end on left. Trefoil headed piscina in S wall. Tall, pointed arch with carved heads under abaci and remains of zig-zag painting on chamfers to tower. Black letter texts, within geometrical borders, either side of tower arch. Glass: E window of S aisle incorporates C17 heraldic glass depicting the Keyt and Coventry arms. Fragments of C16 English and Flemish glass in the S window of the chancel, depicting Joseph and his brethren and a man sowing seed. C20 stained glass in E window. Furniture: font, in centre of aisle towards the rear of the church, C13 steps and pedestal supporting a C15, Perpendicular style font with octagonal bowl decorated with quatrefoils. Pews mostly C19, but some have reused medieval bench ends with blind tracery. Very fine, carved pulpit and tester dated 1679. C17 German singing lectern. Monuments etc in the nave: C19 wooden plaque commemorating Ebrington's Cow Charity on wall by S door. Royal Arms 1725 over tower arch. S aisle: defaced tomb with coat of arms under E window. Chancel: painted stone recumbent effigy of Sir John Fortescue in legal robes on a chest tomb with Gothic panels at far end, left. Opposite an alter tomb of c1632 commemorating Sir William Keyt with Corinthian columns and heraldry. Right of the latter a classical marble monument of circa 1662 commemorating Sir John Keyt with busts of Keyt and his wife with falls of fruit and heraldry. (David Verey: The Buildings of England - The Cotwolds 1979)
Listing NGR: SP1837239992
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing