Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:35:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Little Massingham
National Grid Reference:
TF 79258 24149



3/39 Church of St. Andrew. 15.8.60. I

Parish Church. C14, C15. Flint rubble, dressings of squared and knapped flint, stone, red brick and red clunch. C20 machine pantiled nave roof, leaded aisles and chancel, west,tower, south porch, 3 bay nave and clerestorey, north and south aisle, 2 bay chancel. Decorated 3 stage west tower has stone plinth and 4 stage set off angle buttresses on west face only. 2-light Decorated west, and 4 2-light Decorated belfry windows. Brick battlemented paraper. Semi- octagonal south tower stacks with red brick quoined angles, some diapering. Fine Perpendicular south porch has moulded Perpendicular outer arch, flushwork panelling, angle buttresses and finial spirelets. 2-light straight headed north and south windows, low pitched roof. South aisle has one 3-light and 2 south 2-light Perpendicular windows, one east Decorated 3-light window. North aisle has one west, 2 north and one east 2-light Perpendicular windows. Perpendicular north door. Clerestorey with red chalk rubble has 3 2-light straight headed Perpendicular windows. 2 bay chancel has 2 2-light Decorated south windows, one 3-light Recticulated tracery east window. 2 massive east gable buttresses with set offs. High Victorian north vestry with distinctive north-west buttress stack, presumably by Thomas Jelkyll, c.1857. Interior: south porch door, Decorated with moulded arch and label stop with 2 carved heads. 3 bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers with bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arches with labels and stops. Fine arched braced Perpendicular nave roof, 6 arch braced trusses on single hammerbeams with upper collars, moulded through purlins and ridge. Cornice hammberbeams and collars with upper brattishing, bosses at junctions or principals. Similar 3 bay chancel roof, with boarding. C19 aisle roofs. Decorated tower arch, Perpendicular chancel arch. Table tomb of Sir John L'Estrange, obit 1517, removed into tower 1857, with matrices of coats of arms. South aisle has ogee piscina, H;agioscope squint into chancel. Against chancel arch mid C17 classical wall tablet to Sir Charles Mordaunt, Jaisle Mack obit 1648 tablet of 1783, still Rococo. High Victorian pulpit, 1857, by Jeckyll. High Victorian benches and chancel furniture. C14 angle piscina and arched aumbry in east wall. Carved reredos 1907. Arcade stone Breseton family monument 1907 sills High Victorian in style.

Listing NGR: TF7925824149


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10087/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].