CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1171765
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 02:58:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Walsoken
National Grid Reference:
TF 47720 10544

Details

WALSOKEN CHURCH ROAD TF 41 SE 2/64 Church of All Saints 11.8.51 G.V. I Parish church. Nave and chancel late C12, west tower mid C13, aisles remodelled C14, further alterations C15. Rendered or cemented ashlar and lead roofs. 4 stage tower with polygonal clasping buttresses standing on low base course. First stage with arcade of blind pointed arches on columns with waterholding bases and moulded capitals, undercut arch mouldings. Round arched west door with complex and deeply undercut arch mouldings supported on 3 orders of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, all much restored in C19. Second stage have trefoil-headed arcade. To west the centre 2 arches are pierced as windows, also one similar light to south. Third stage with polygonal shafts rising full height with pointed blind arched recesses between shafts. To north, south and west one pointed lancet illuminates ringing chamber. To east original nave roof line remains. Belfry and spire C14. 2-light ogeed belfry windows with hood mould. Crenellated parapet with polygonal angle turrets extending from clasping buttresses. Hexagonal spire with concave gabled lucarnes in one tier. 5-light south aisle west window with stepped lights beneath depressed 4-centred arch. Diagonal buttress at corner. Aisle windows to flank are 3 or 4-light square-headed with ogeed lights, restored or renewed C19. Priests door has 5 trefoiled lights over it, also with square hood; doorway of one order of shafts below wave moulded arch of c.1340. C14 gabled south porch with angle buttresses and stilted arch. North and south clerestory of 7 3-light C15 panel tracery windows below basket arches. To west of south clerestory one punched encircled quatrefoil in square surround. Crenellated parapet, that to north rebuilt in brick. Principal merlons of parapet carry crocketted finials. Bellcote over east nave gable with ogee opening. North nave aisle pierced by 4 3-light ogeed windows with depressed arches. To west of arched north doorway are 2 2-light reticulated windows. C13 corbel table beneath eaves reused when aisle constructed. C15 south chancel chapel in 3 bays. One 4-light and one 3-light window to western 2 bays. 2 storey eastern chapel added 1536 lit by 2 2-light cusped square-headed windows to ground floor sharing a common hood mould and one 3-light cusped square-headed window to upper floor. Eastern wall of this chapel pierced by similar windows with that to first floor elaborated into tracery head below depressed arch. Stepped buttresses flank 5-light C15 Perpendicular east chancel window. Paired shafts survive from early C13 to right and left, each with stiff-leaf capitals. Against east wall of north chancel chapel a C20 brick boiler house. 3 north windows of this chapel cusped under depressed arches. Interior. 7 bay arcade of late C12 with alternating circular and octagonal piers each with square abaci above scalloped capitals. Eastern responds have waterleaf capitals, now c.1200. Round arches carry zig-zag mouldings and have hood moulds. Pointed chancel arch with paired columns to west with 8 annulated rings. Capitals struggle for coherent identity between scalloped, waterleaf or crocket. Northern responds cut for insertion of late C15 4-centred rood stair doorway. Chancel arch with 3 orders of zigzag, billet and roll mouldings. Tower arch is fully C13 : pointed, on keeled columns with subsidiary keeled colonnettes to east and west, crocket capitals and deeply undercut arch. Tower windows shafted on interior. C15 nave roof. Hammerbeams on arched braces drop on wall posts to corbels. The wall posts have canopied niches containing painted figures of Kings and Prophets. Painted angels terminate hammberbeams. Cambered tie beams sit on hammberbeams and are moulded, as are one tier butt purlins and ridge piece. South aisle roof of principals on arched braces with wall posts dropping to corbels. Carved figures stand in canopied niches on wall posts. Rafters with roll moulded edges and 2 tiers moulded butt purlins. North aisle roof much altered. Plain tie beams supported on straight braces with wall posts. Purlin carried on 3 braces from each tie and C19 ladder bracing runs full length between purlin and tie beams. Over tower arch a carved timber representation of throned King Solomon, and to right and left wall paintings depict 2 women and child (Judgement of Solomon). Probably C17, as is carved timber figure of King David with harp over chancel arch. Fine octagonal 7 sacraments font dated 1544 on base. The sacraments are on bowl within cusped niches, the additional scene is the Crucifixion. On stem are figures of 8 saints. 8 C15 poppyhead bench ends in nave with figures in ogee niches. At east ends of aisles are arches leading to chancel chapels approached through parclose screens. C16 south screen of 2 bays right and left of 4-centred opening. Elaborate closely panelled tracery in head, each bay of which is subdivided. North parclose screen of 4 bays right and left of square central opening. Dado restored, ogeed tracery in heads of lights. Chancel. 2 bay arcade on central circular piers and octagonal responds. Eastern capitals are of waterleaf type, central piers carry scalloped capitals as does south-west respond. North-west respond with crocket capitals. Round arches with double order of zig-zag. 4 blocked clerestory windows each side, all round-headed, the eastern windows taller. Dado marked by billet moulding which rises over low round-headed door to north. In south wall a blocked C13 arch pierced by a blocked C14 stilted doorway. East window flanked by double annulated shafting with stiff-leaf capitals. Chancel roof of moulded butt purlins on moulded arched braces, otherwise all renewed. C19 parclose screens between chancel and north and south chapels. Extensively restored C16 choir stalls with heads as hand rests. Late C15 south chapel roof : alternating large and small moulded arched braces on wall posts support moulded principals. Larger principals decorated with carved ribbon trail and have figures against their wall posts. 2 tiers moulded and pierced butt purlins and ridge piece.

Listing NGR: TF4772010544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221849
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01871/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].