CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173236.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:55:34.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- Stanford with Orleton
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 70240 65728
STANFORD WITH ORLETON CP STANFORD ON TEME
SO 76 NW
6/192 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1768-9 by James Rose on new site; restored 1894. Ashlar with partly hipped slate roofs behind embattled parapets. West tower, two-bay nave, transepts and short chancel. Gothick style. West tower: three stages with strings and chamfered plinth which continues around building; diagonal corner buttresses with offsets rising to top of second stage. Pointed west doorway forming main entrance; second stage has glazed quatrefoils in arches in south and west elevations; belfry stage has louvred Y-traceried bell chamber openings with hood moulds and returns; deeply moulded cornice above, original pierced embattled parapet now replaced by blocking course. East side of north elevation has a loophole on each stage to tower stairs. Porch in tower base is octagonal in plan with a plaster ceiling; pointed doorway into nave flanked by small doorways, both are to tower stairs. Nave: two north windows and south-west window have cusped Y-tracery; south-east window has had tracery removed. Transept: north transept has cusped Y-traceried window in north end and a late C18 pedimented wall memorial on west side to Johnathan Harris, died 1775, and Elizabeth Jenkins, died 1774; south transept has had tracery removed from south end window and has a 4-centred doorway in its west elevation. Chancel: gabled at east end; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior: 4-centred arches into transepts. Plastered throughout including ceilings; nave ceiling is coved and has a large centrepiece with flower and feather mouldings. Chancel retains moulded cornice. Fittings, including octagonal font, pulpit, altar rails and pews are late C19. In the vestry (situated in the north transept) is kept the C18 altar table with turned legs. Memorials: in the north-east corner of the chancel is a late C15 alabaster table tomb with the recumbent effigies of Sir Humphrey Salwey, died 1493 and his wife, Joyce. This was removed from the old church and its position has been reversed so that their feet now point west. The sides are decorated with a crocketted and finialled ogee-arched blind arcade with pinnacled pilasters and kneeling male figures beneath each archway. A group of three female figures is recorded to be found on the west side. Either side of the east window are early C18 memorials to the Winnington and Salwey families. Against the south wall of the chancel is a large monument to Thomas Winnington, died 1746; it has a plinth with large side scrolls on which stands a sarcophagus with lion's feet surmounted by a bust (possibly by Roubiliac). In the nave are several more memorials to the Winnington family including two large brasses with kneeling figures to Edith Winnington, died 1864, and Thomas Edward Winnington, died 1869; also two late C18 memorials, one to the King family and one to Dr George Butt, died 1795, and a mid-C19 memorial to the Campbell family. The south transept also contains numerous wall memorials to the Winnington family dating from the late C18 to the mid-C19. The site of the original church lies beneath the lake in Stanford Park. The Winnington family agreed to build a new church when they had the park landscaped. Despite the loss of some of its detailing, the church is an interesting example of the Gothick style and contains some good memorials (VCH 4, p 344-5; BoE p 263).
Listing NGR: SO7024065728
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 263
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing