THE COURT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1173467
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
THE COURT HOUSE, 8, KING STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:58:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COURT HOUSE, 8, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 77759 48017

Details

1. 5363 KING STREET (East side) GV ST 7748 SE 5/88 22.7.49 No 8 (The Court House) II*

2. Abuts rear wing of the Iron Gates. Circa 1700 or earlier. Rubble, formerly stuccoed. Chamfered plinth, coves and moulded eaves cornice. End pilaters in stucco only survive in breaks in cornice. Stone tiles roof with 3 dormers, outer ones gabled, centre one with segmental head. 2 storeys. Windows spaced 2 - 3 - 2, sashes in architraves. Centre unit breaks forward slightly and has one window of standard width between 2 narrow ones, all with cambered heads. Central foor with good semi- circular shell hood containing carved motif, carved brackets. Segment-headed doorway with circa 1760 panelled door, centre panels trefoil-headed, lower panels cross- braced. Lead rainwater head to right. Rear, fenestration altered, but 2 cross- mullion type windows (blocked) still visible. Interior altered: plain circa 1800 stair with rosewood handrail.

Listing NGR: ST7775948017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266220
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06910/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].