This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1174339



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ickleford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/41 Old Ramerick Manor 9.6.52

- II*

Manor house, now a farmhouse. Late medieval former open hall house incorporated in later additions. C16 E crosswing; a farmhouse by 1625; hall floored in stages in C17; late C17 NE wing (a granary on 1st floor); W front bay, staircase wing at rear, and regular brick front to house early C18. NW service wing has date 'RE/1829' cut over entrance. Restored 1953-4. Presumably timber framed (suggested by record of breaking down part of wall during seizure by Lord Cobham in 1530), NE wing of clunch masonry with red brick dressings and independent timber supporting structure to 1st floor granary, front of dark red brick with some blue bricks and lighter red brick dressings, red brick to NW wing, roughcast exterior to rear stair wing. Steep old red tile roofs, hipped with zig-zag tile patterning to front, extending as catslide over rear outshut, and hipped on NW wing. A large 2-storeys house about 400M to E of main road standing at N of farmstead facing S on a site still moated on 2 sides. Near symmetrical S front has 1st floor windows grouped 2:3:2, central 6-panels moulded door in Doric pilastered surround with flat entablature, corresponding windows on ground floor but LH pair replaced c.1900 by rectangular brick bay with 3 sash windows with 8/1 panes and parapet. This front has a projecting band at eaves level below the parapet, and flush-box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes. Large chimney with triangular pilaster strip to RH of door. Similar front to E end. 2-storeys and attic NE wing has gable parapets on corbelled brick kneelers and roughcast gable triangle. Chimney inserted in early C19 to serve farm office in base. 2-storeys NW service wing faces W with 2 windows to each floor and inscription in blind recess over central porch. Large internal chimney separates kitchen on S from dairy at N connecting with lower cellar in rear outshut behind W room of main range. Gabled stair wing projects at rear over catslide in angle with E wing. Large rear-wall chimney to hall with gabled dormer to each side. Interior has fine cut string staircase with 2 barley-sugar balusters per tread, carved tread ends, swept handrail on barley-sugar newels, outswept at foot beside hall fireplace. Jacobean oak chimneypiece with swagged Ionic pilasters on pedestals flanking opening, and Composite caryatides to overmantle with strapwork ornament and perspective design in square central feature with niche in middle in dentilled pedimented frame. Twin keyblocked segmental openings on E wall of hall. In E wing axial beam, late C16 fireplace with 3 round-headed niches above lintel, and clasped-purlin roof structure. House and manor continuously owned by St. John's College Cambridge since 1520/1. (VCH Beds II (1908)286: RCHM (1911)129: VCH (1912)21-2: Pevsner. (1977)209: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1717535009

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1908), 286
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 21-2
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 17175 35009


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 08:49:57.

End of official listing