CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1175444
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175444.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:11:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
Combe Florey
National Grid Reference:
ST 15056 31168

Details

ST13SE COMBE FLOREY CP

3/63 Church of St Peter and St Paul

25.2.55

GV I

Parish Church. A little C13 work, mainly late C15, chancel added circa 1846, restored 1901. Red sandstone random rubble masonry, mainly red sandstone dressings, tower faced with coursed squared ashlar, slate roofs, double roman tiles on North aisle. Four bay nave, chancel, 3 bay North aisles, South porch, West tower. Crenellated 3 stage tower with finials, diagonal buttresses, stair turret in North west corner, 2-light trefoil headed windows, 4-light perpendicular window with Ham stone dressings over heavily moulded 4 centred arch doorway - all with hood moulds except second stage windows. 3-light cinquefoil windows flanking porch, two 2-light to East beyond roofed stair projection, 3-light East end, 3-light also at East end of aisle. North aisle has six early C19 painted windows with Y tracery, two at East end with cinquefoil rear arches. Gabled South porch with coped verges. Interior: standard perpendicular piers with carved angel capitals, wagon roofs. Good late C15 bench ends; perpendicular pulpit probably made from rood screen dismantled when chancel added. Late C15 octagonal font with trefoil decoration on C13 base. 1614 alms box. Cinquefoil niche on North aisle wall with late C13 inscription above - the heart of a nun, Maud de Merriete was originally inserted here in what was a chantry chapel and property of the lords of the manor until late C19. Tomb of a knight, Sir John de Merriete and his two wives early C14. Late C15 brass to Florence Fraunceis and another to Nicholas Fraunceis early C16. Blank tablet on West wall of North aisle with cartouche, volutes and apron, dedicated to Philippa Fraunceis died 1745. Chancel window, circa 1846, dedicated to the Rev. Sidney Smith. (Photographs NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1506231170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270274
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08750/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Abbiss. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].