BERRINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176922
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
BERRINGTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BERRINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BERRINGTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Berrington
National Grid Reference:
SJ5259307515

Details

BERRINGTON C.P. -

SJ 50 NW 3/23

Berrington Hall

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Rectory. Rectory, now small country house. 1805, by Joseph Bromfield (c.1743- 1824) of Shrewsbury for the Hon. and Rev. Richard Noel Hill. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof. 1:1:5:1 bay rhythm; central 5-bay block with set back one-bay service pavilion to left and one-bay link block between, and set-back one-bay block to right, possibly link to former right-hand pavilion. 2 and 3 storeys. Stone plinth, frieze and dentil eaves cornice; 4 brick ridge stacks. Glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads, painted imitation in 2 right-hand bays, 2 steps up to central pair of half-glazed flush- panelled doors and ashlar porch with paired Tuscan columns, architrave and frieze, and triangular pediment; 4-bay return fronts, left-hand with painted imitation sashes in 2 right-hand bays, blind hoods to 2 first-floor left-hand sashes, and French casements in left-hand bay, and right-hand with blind windows in third bay from left. 3 storeys and 4 bays at-rear. Left-hand pavilion: stone frieze; paired brick pilaster strips to triangular-pedimented gable end with stone coping; central brick ridge stack, pair of half-glazed flush-panelled doors with blind box over; 4-bay left-hand return front. Right-hand link block has paired brick pilaster strips to triangular-pedimented gable end. Interior: largely unaltered; moulded cornices and enriched plaster soffits, 6-panelled doors, reeded architraves with corner paterae, reeded fireplace surrounds, and panelled internal window shutters throughout; 3-flight square-well staircase with landings, open string, wrought iron balustrade with anthemion ornament, wreathed handrail and curtail with columnular newel, and circular domed top light; back staircase with stick balusters. Joseph Bromfield was a plasterer by trade. The house, service wing and stable block (q.v.) enclose 3 sides of a service courtyard to the east. It is possible that a north pavilion was intended but the pilastered gable end to the link matches the treatment of the south pavilion and suggests that a north pavilion was never built and probably not envisaged. This is a very well preserved example of an ambitious early C19 rectory. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.25; Colvin, p.142.



Listing NGR: SJ5259307515

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259675
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 142
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 25

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07691/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].