CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1177761
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:44:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Charnwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Wanlip
National Grid Reference:
SK 60216 10989

Details

WANLIP

SK 61 SW CHURCH ROAD

3/133 Church of St. Nicholas (Previously listed as Church of Our Lady 1.6.66 and St Nicholas).

II Parish Church. Basically C13 and C14 but much restored: the south aisle was added in 1904. Mostly of granite rubble with ashlar dressing. West tower, nave with one aisle, and chancel. Late C13 buttressed west tower of 2 stages with West window with 3 cusped lights, and paired foiled light to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. South aisle of 1904, in early decorated style. Its west wall has 3 stepped buttresses containing a door and two windows. Niche with statue over south door whose moulded arch springs from chamfer rather than a shaft. 2 foiled 3-light windows with corbel heads. Plain parapet with gargoyles. South west window of nave consists of 3 rounded- headed lights with high relieving arch and is early perpendicular. High chancel is slightly wider than the nave and built of fine rubble on a plinth. In its south side is a low side window and late Decorated window of 3 foiled lights. The east window is a C19 restoration of an early perpendicular 5-light window with very plain tracery. The four north windows are Victorian renewals with stilted hoodmoulds and corbel heads over 3-light tracery.

Interior has double chamfered arch to west tower, and nave arcade of 3 bays to south aisle. The aisle itself is of 1904, but the arcade is C14 the former aisle demolished 1796, short octagonal columns with heavy abaci support double chamfered arches with corbel heads to outer hoodmould. Some traces of painting on the piers. Narrow round arched north doorway. North windows set in shafted recesses. No chancel arch. Nave and chancel roofed as one, a C19 cambered trussed roof, the chancel emphasized by additional struts and bosses. Various late C17 and C18 wall memorials to members of the Palmer family in the chancel, and 2 C19 decorated slates bearing the commandments etc. above the altar. In the chancel floor a large brass of 1393, commemorating Thomas and Katherine Walsh, and recording that they "in yer tyme made the Kirke of Anlep". Figure of a knight and lady, in a border containing the inscription and the emblems of the evangelists. Stained glass in west and east windows of 1904; and some older armorial glass in north windows.

Listing NGR: SK6021610989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189599
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12809/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Leslie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].