CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1177785
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD, NANTWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177785.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:02:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD, NANTWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woore
National Grid Reference:
SJ 73057 42380

Details

SJ 74 SW WOORE C.P. NANTWICH ROAD (north- east side)

3/147 Church of Saint Leonard GV II

Parish church. 1830-1, by George Ernest Hamilton of Stone. Internally restored and chancel added or rebuilt in 1887. Tower added in 1910, by Chapman and Snape of Newcastle. Rendered brick with slate roof. 5-bay nave with small one-bay chancel and west tower. Nave: plinth, cill band, impost band, panelled pilaster strips with bases and moulded capitals and continuous frieze and moulded eaves cornice. Triangular- pedimented gable and with deep eaves, and cross at apex to east. Integral brick stack in south-west corner. Round-arched small-paned windows. Chancel: plinth, cill string, panelled pilasters, frieze and moulded eaves cornice, and triangular-pedimented gable end with circular grille in tympanum and cross at apex. Tripartite east window with continuous cill and round-arched centre light. C20 flat-roofed vestry to north. Tower: 3 stages. First stage to west of 3 bays with plinth, cill string and panelled pilasters supporting frieze and cornice. Outer bays topped by attics, each with small-paned lights set in round-arched panels, cornice and coped parapet, and balustraded recess between. Set-back to second stage of tower and moulded cornice to belfry with moulded eaves cornice and pyramidal slate cap with cross at apex. Louvred round- arched belfry openings with moulded architraves and keystones, and each set in recessed panel. Round clock with moulded architrave on second stage to west and circular windows on other 3 faces with 4 panes and moulded architraves. Central pair of 3 panelled west doors with panelled reveals, moulded architrave and moulded cornice to triangular pediment. 3 steps up to door with flanking bootscrapers. One-bay returns to front stage with round-arched small-paned windows and small-paned attic lights. Interior: dog-leg stairs to tower and gallery at each side of entrance lobby; closed string with stick balusters and square newel posts. Moulded cornice to nave and chancel. Small boarded bracketed west gallery. Moulded elliptical chancel arch with panelled soffit, moulded capitals, and inscription: "HOLY. HOLY. HOLY. LORD. GOD. ALMIGHTY". Centre east window with moulded architrave and flanking windows with beaded corners. Fittings: chancel panelling with moulded cornice, probably of 1929. Communion rails to left and right with wrought-iron supports. Plain C19 choir stalls. Organ to right of chancel arch. Octagonal oak pulpit of 1929 with stem, paired panels, Corinthian colonnettes at corners and frieze and moulded cornice. Brass lectern. Oak chancel screen of 1917; 7 alternating wide and narrow bays with Corinthian columns on pedestals, frieze, cornice and central triangular pediment. In memory of Second Lieutenant Percy Mellor "who fell in action in France in the attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt". Plain pine pews. Octagonal stone font dated 1848 with step, stem with trefoil-headed panels, bowl with quatrefoil panels, and wooden cover with crockets and finial. Stained glass in north window of c.1905 by Kempe and Tower. The present building stands near the site of an earlier chapel-of-ease, first recorded in 1552. Hamilton published a book of "Designs for Rural Churches"in 1836. The builders employed for the erection of the tower in 1910 were Wilton and Son of Newcastle. B.o.E., p. 323; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 741; Colvin, p.383; Vivienne Painting, The History of St. Leonard's Church Woore Shropshire.

Listing NGR: SJ7305742380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260453
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 383
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 741
Painting, V, The History of St Leonards Church Woore Shropshire
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 323

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01797/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Deakin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].