CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178822.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:02:10.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 41292 69066
SO 4069 - 4169; 8/64
WIGMORE CP, CHURCH STREET (west end of)
Church of St James
Parish church. Late C11, part rebuilt and extended in C14,further C15 alterations and restored in 1864 by G Bodley. Sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar and tufa dressings, machine-tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles and gable-end parapet with cross finial at east end. West tower, three-bay nave with north chapel, south aisle and south porch, two-bay chancel.
West tower: mid-C14 and of four stages, undivided externally with a moulded plinth. The lower stage has a pair of cusped ogee-arched lights in the west elevation. The second stage has a cusped ogee-arched light on all sides except the east side which has a loophole into the nave. The third stage has a narrow square-headed light on three sides and on east doorway into the nave roof. The belfry stage has a cusped pointed louvred bell chamber opening on each side and above is an embattled parapet partly concealing a shallow pyramidal roof with ball finial and weathervane. The tower stairs are situated in the north-east corner and are lit by four loop- holes. Nave: C11; north wall faced with original herringbone masonry (probably entirely of this type of construction once) and in it is a 2-light C15 window with a square head. The east bay of the original two-bay C15 north aisle was demolished in the C19, but the outline of the archway into this bay can be seen externally and also the piscina. The north chapel was created out of the surviving west bay of the north aisle. It has a lean-to roof, a reset 3-light C14 window with a square head (only the jambs are original). The east wall is C19. The south aisle was added in the early C14 and has a separate gabled roof and angle buttresses with offsets (largely rebuilt) at the corners. There are two large restored 3-light windows with hoodmoulds in the south wall (the western one of which has head stops to its hoodmould). There is a similar window at the east end and a 2-light window at the west end. The south porch is mid-c19, gabled and timber-framed on a tall rubble base. It has scalloped bargeboards, a pointed moulded archway, with quatrefoil reliefs in the spandrels, flanked by cusped pointed openings with transoms and also relief decoration in their spandrels. The side elevations have arch-braced wall-plates beneath which is a brattished beam above four openings with octagonal mullions. The south doorway has heavy quarter-round moulded jambs and a two-centred head. At the east gable end of the nave are two 2-light square-headed C15 windows set either side of the chancel roof. Chancel: rebuilt and lengthened in the early C14 -and apparently narrower than its predecessor. There are diagonal buttresses with offsets at the east end and the C14 east window is of three lights with reticulated tracery In the north wall are two pairs of C14 cusped lights with quatrefoils above. The south wall has been partly refaced and has two 2-light windows and, between them, a C14 doorway with moulded jambs and pointed head.
INTERIOR: C15 north arcade of two bays (eastern archway is blocked) with pointed arches of two moulded orders and a central octagonal column with a C19 embattled capital. The early C14 south arcade is of two bays with pointed arches of two orders springing from an octagonal column and semi-octagonal responds. East of the arcade is a C15 or C16 four-centred opening (possibly formed from rood loft stairs). Above, at rood loft level is a C14 recess with a cusped head. West of the arcade is an C11 round-headed light. The restored early C14 chancel arch is two-centred and of three orders, the inner mould and the outer two hollow-chamfered, and has semi-octagonal responds. The two-centred tower arch is of three continuous orders. To the north of the tower arch is a C15 doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The nave has an early C15 hammer-beam roof with arch-braced collars forming segmental arches and with cusped wind braces forming a row of lozenge-shaped panels. The south aisle has a C14 roof with arch-braced collar trusses with V-struts above the collar and having alternate cusped arch-braced tie beams. Beneath the north wall plate is a row of stone corbels. The chancel roof is C19. In the east jamb of the south-east chancel window is a C14 piscina and a sunk panel with a cusped head. There is also a C19 double sedilia beneath the south-east window with a central C14 stone arm. C15 choir stalls are returned at west end (a C17 arrangement) and have blind, cusped ogee-arched panels and buttressed standards with poppyhead finials. C14 piscina with cusped head in south aisle, also C14 stoup to east of south doorway. Medieval octagonal stone font with hollowed under-edge, octagonal stem and base in south aisle. C16 decagonal timber pulpit with seven linenfold panelled sides and central octagonal post with radiating struts. Early C17 altar table with turned legs at east end of nave. In the south aisle is a carved cherub head, a stone mortar and part of an octagonal stone bowl, all medieval. There are two hatchments on the west wall of the nave and, within the tower, is a C17 panelled cupboard, a C17 stair door and a medieval altar slab with incised crosses re-used as the west window sill. Memorials: in the chancel is a floor slab to Alexander Clogie, vicar, died 1698. The north chapel has numerous memorials to the Davies and Kevill Davies families of Croft Castle and Wigmore Hall dating from 1738-1832. There is also a mid-C18 Davies memorial in the tower and several C19 memorials in the nave. Glass: in the south aisle east window are fragments of C14 glass. Also some mid C19 chancel glass by D Evans of Shrewsbury.
Listing NGR: SO4128669068
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 204-205
Church of St James Wigmore Guidebook
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 320-321
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing