CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178827.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:31:25.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 43714 34624
SO 43 SW; 6/76
THRUXTON CP, Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. C14, restored 1866. Coursed sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings, tiled roofs; timber-framed porch with stone slate roof. West tower, two-bay nave, one-bay chancel and south porch.
Tower is embattled with three stages undivided externally; top stage has two trefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoil tracery under a 2-centred head to each cardinal face; west wall has a square-headed loop to second stage and a narrower one to the ground stage. Nave has 2-light trefoiled ogee window with quatrefoil tracery and no label to west end of north wall to the east of which is a 4-centred C15 blocked north doorway with chamfered jambs and another trefoiled 2-light window without ogees under a 2-centred label; the west window of the south side is similar to the one opposite, beyond the porch the east window is a 2-light trefoiled ogee window with inverted ogee tracery under a square head. Chancel has traceried trefoiled and ogeed 3-light window with a 2-centred head, separating the north and south walls from the nave is one buttress with offsets to each side; the north window has two lights, each trefoiled and ogeed with a quatrefoil above, 2-centred head on label; south window is chamfered with a 2-centred head and two recessed trefoiled and ogeed lights under quatrefoil tracery; to the west of the window is a blocked priests' door with chamfered jambs and a 4-centred head. Chamfered plinth to nave, chancel and south wall of tower; east verges of nave and chancel each carry crosses. Porch is partly restored, sandstone plinth, two bays, jowled corner posts (the front ones having scotches) carry cambered and chamfered ties supported by arch-braces, scalloped bargeboards formed by two subsidiary cusps to each lobe of main trefoil; trefoiled wind-braces to each bay beneath single purlins; restored wall-plates and five-bay side-panels open at the top. South doorway has 2-centred head and chamfered jambs running down to pyramidical stops above chamfered plinth; restored C17 studded ledged door with strap hinges, circular escutcheon plate and handle.
INTERIOR: rear arch of south doorway has segmental head; C14 wagon roofs, that of nave with straight braces supporting collars and scissor-struts continuing the line of the braces above the collars; that of chancel without scissor-struts but with curved braces to collars; chancel has two re-tooled corbelled brackets, one to each side of east wall but at different levels; east window has stained glass depicting The Good 'Shepherd with "FEED MY LAMBS/ IN MEMORY OF: ARCHDEACON: HENRY WETHERELL/ BY BEQUEST OF: HIS WIDOW: MDCCCLXV"; C14 stained glass in south window, mainly fragments but tracery light of Crucifixion has green cross, brown loin cloth, vine-leaf ground and margin with red beads; late C19 or early C20 harmonium labelled "Chancel Organ"; chancel arch is 2-centred and has continuous double chamfers to east and west. Nave has font in square to octagonal chamfered base with inscription: "BAPTISMUS EST ABLVTIO PECCATORUM", octagonal stem with moulded necking supporting octagonal bowl with curved bottom bearing another inscription: "THIS: FONT: WAS: MADE: MARC (sic): THE: 16TH: 1677"; consecration cross set in round panel in soffit of top of blocked north doorway; mutilated stoup to east of south doorway; coffin lid with incised cross re-used as lintol of east window in south wall of nave; mid-C19 stove near south door with raised lettering: "SMITH & WELLSTOOD LTD/ COLUMBIAN/ STOVE WORKS/ BONNY BRIDGE/ SCOTLAND". Tower has east doorway with 2-centred head and chamfered jambs running down to pyramidal stops, above is a recess or blocked opening with a flatter 2-centred head with chamfers dying into the jambs; under the tower are several wall monuments viz: Richard Davies, died 1797; Chrysogen Vaughan, died 1789; Hugh Russell, died 1722; Aristarcus Merrick, died 1794 by J Prichd; early C19 Benefactions board; C17 communion table with moulded rails and stretchers and chamfered legs. Two drawings in nave of the church before restoration, the first near the south door, "Thruxton Church Interior/ July 26 1865/ copied from a sketch done on the last day of its/ existence by the Rev E Jacson" shows early C18 communion rails to altar and two wall monuments, one recognisably now in tower, on east wall of chancel, box pews, two-decker pulpit and stove (see above) in centre of nave with chimney pipe crossing the nave and going through the head of the tracery of the east Window of the south side of the nave; the second near the tower doorway has a similar inscription but shows the west end of the church with the former west gallery and a large detail of one of its cast iron supporting pillars. The Rev Jacson did not long survive the restoration of the church, his brass memorial plaque on the north wall of the nave reads: TO THE MEMORY OF EDWARD JACSON RECTOR OF THE PARISHES OF THRUXTON AND KINGSTONE 1858 - 70 DIED AT THRUXTON 18TH JULY 1870 AGED 43
This modest medieval church is graded I for its generally unrestored appearance and surviving medieval roofs to nave and chancel.
Listing NGR: SO4371334627
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 237-8
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing