CHANNONZ HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1179541
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHANNONZ HALL, PLANTATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHANNONZ HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179541.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 17:58:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHANNONZ HALL, PLANTATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tibenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 14770 88471

Details

1. 5321 TIENHAM PLANTATION ROAD Channonz Hall TM 18 NW 15/2A 11.9.51

II* GV

2. Second half of C16. The date 1569 above east door is not original. Only the east kitchen wing remains of a former U-shaped house. Most of the hall section and the west wing were demolished in 1784. Built of red brick with tiled roofs, 2 storeys plus attics, the central hall had a tall gabled porch and the marking wings were connected by a wall with a gatehouse at the centre enclosing a square court. The north gable of the remaining wing (like the demolished west wing) is crow-stepped with tall ornamental moulded brick finials with ogee-shaped caps, which were surmounted by wind vanes. (The porch and dormers were similarly treated but none survive). The finials rise from octagonal corner buttresses. There are moulded brick string courses. The north end one bay and west side 3 bays have 3 and 4-light windows with moulded brick hollow-chamfered mullions and transoms, and are surmounted by shallow moulded brick pediments. The west doorway of the east wing is similarly pedimented, with moulded architrave and round arch, the door is original. On west side (the original out side) there is a large chimney stack with octagonal shafts, the original bellcote has been demolished. Interior: partition walls of timber-frame. Ground floor south-east room has incised circles on plaster ceiling-purpose? Very crude wall drawing in attic. Panelled first floor room. Panelled doors throughout the house of 1721. The house is on a moated site and there is an earlier medieval moated site to south-east. The house was extensively repaired and the interior modernised in 1721-4 by John Buxton who was an amateur architect.

Listing NGR: TM1477088471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226243
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].