UPTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1179760
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
UPTON HALL, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1179760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 11:03:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
UPTON HALL, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton
National Grid Reference:
SK7348054406

Details

SK 75 SW UPTON MAIN ROAD (west side)

8/141 Upton Hall 7-8-52 G.V. II*

Country house. Now headquarters of the British Horological Institute. 1832, incorporating C17 house. By W. J. Donthorn. Large addition and interior remodelled 1895, for Mr. Warwick. Greek revival style. Brick, stucco and colourwash. Slate roofs. Ashlar plinth, brick plinth, moulded string course and cornice, moulded stucco and brick eaves, coped parapets. 4 capped stacks at corners of dome parapet, 6 side wall, 3 gable and 2 ridge stacks. 2 and 3 storeys, 7 bays in the arrangement 3/1/3. L- plan. South front, 1832, has recessed central bay with flanking wings. Central bay has ashlar basement with 3 glazing bar sashes and latticed iron area railing. Above, tetrastyle Ionic portico with pediment and antae with C19 foliate frieze. 3 full height French windows with overlights. Flanked by single fluted cast iron urns. Beyond, single 3 light glazing bar sashes with pilasters and panelled friezes. Central lights have blind bases with scroll brackets and Greek Key. Above, central mullioned and transomed French window flanked by single blank openings, all with moulded eared Egyptian architraves. Beyond, single glazing bar sashes. Above again, central low pitched dome with central light in balustraded and railed enclosure. To left, linking bay has central round headed doorway with pilasters and panelled cornice, double half glazed doors and fanlight. Above, a 3 light plain sash. 1895 addition, to west, has to south central 2 storey bow window with Ionic pilasters and 3 curved plain sashes. Flanked by single 3 light plain sashes with pilasters, panelled friezes and cornices. Above, central bow window with 3 sashes, flanked by single 3 light plain sashes. East front has pedimented central bay with 3 bay portico in antis, with square columns and pilasters with moulded capitals and bases. Glazed infill with central double doors with overlight. Flanked to left by blank panel and to right by a glazing bar sash. Above, to left, blank panel and to right, smaller glazing bar sash. Above again, pediment flanked by single fluted urns. Return angle, to right, has single glazing bar sash and above, blank panel. 3 storey rear wing, to right, has 2 glazing bar sashes, that to right smaller. Above, a single glazing bar sash on each floor. West side has to right, C20 casement and to left, C17 stone casement with keeled mullion and splayed reveal. Above, 2 glazing bar sashes on each floor with keystoned rubbed brick heads. Traces of stone mullioned windows. Lower 2 storey outbuildings, to north, have, to left, brick and stone stairs with kennel under, and to right, 3 glazing bar sashes. Above, to left, recessed door and to right, a glazing bar sash. East side has C19 fenestration including triple glazing bar sash and rainwater head inscribed 'J W 1832'. West front, 1895, has to right, 4 panels with moulded architraves and to left, a plain sash on each floor. Rear wings, 1895. 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays, have 2 triple plain sashes with pilasters and plain sashes with keystoned rubbed brick heads. East entrance has panelled double door with glazing bar overlight and single flanking glazing bar lights. Entrance hall has moulded doorway with panelled architrave and cornice. Large Classical marble fireplace with pilasters and scrolled brackets, and overmantel mirror with Corinthian pilasters, anthemion frieze and cornice. Central hall has Jacobean style decoration, 1895. Half-height panelling, and to north, balcony on scroll brackets. To its left, 2 bay arcade with moulded keystoned basket arches. To right, cantilevered stairs with landing and galleries. Panelled square newels with lion and ball finials, balcony with fretted panel, and square tapered Classical balusters. To south, central recess containing marble fireplace with Corinthian columns on dice with strapwork, reeded frieze, 2 panels with relief carving, and broken segmental pediment with finials. To left, doorway with moulded architrave, reeded frieze and corniced panel on scroll brackets inscribed '1895'. Hall gallery has to east and west central porticoes with dice carrying fluted square timber piers, foliate friezes and moulded pediments. That to east has C20 glazed doors and overlight. Shallow domed ceiling has foliate cornice with shields with Arms to north and south. Dome has moulded pendentives and central light. Bateman Room, to south, has half height panelling, moulded cornice and foliate central boss. West end has shouldered marble fireplace surround with scroll brackets, frieze with relief carving and moulded cornice. Pair of flanking Corinthian columns carrying Renaissance Revival overmantel with pilasters with cherubs and moulded elliptical pediment. Flanked by panelled fitted corner seats on moulded brackets. East end has 3 full height pointed headed mirrors with foliate scroll work. Front office, to south, has Classical ashlar fireplace with double Ionic piers and antae, moulded frieze and dentillated cornice. Kitchen has remains of chamfered ashlar fireplace. Theatre, to south, has late C19 moulded proscenium arch with deep moulded foliate cornice, shells in spandrels, and central scrolled cartouche. First floor Harrison Room has C19 Classical timber fireplace with eared and shouldered overmantel mirror. First floor boudoir to south east has wall panels with scrolled oval heads, moulded cornice, timber fireplace with very large angled scrolled brackets, foliate carving, curved panelled frieze and moulded mantel shelf. Matching overmantel mirror with foliate scrolled brackets and shaped head. Window seat. Other principal rooms have moulded friezes and cornices. Several have late C19 moulded coffered ceilings. Early C19 back stairs have winder and landings, turned newels, ramped handrail and stick balusters.

Listing NGR: SK7348054406

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242845
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11843/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].