CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1181108
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181108.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:19:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Towersey
National Grid Reference:
SP 73570 05265

Details

TOWERSEY CHURCH LANE SP7305 (East side) 8/119 Church of St. Catherine 18/07/63

GV II

Church. Early C13 chancel; mid C14 nave, tower and restoration of c.1850 by J. Cranston. Coursed squared stone; C19 plain-tile roof; roof to tower not visible. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, transept recess to north, south tower. 2-centre moulded stone archway to base of tower. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and C19 plank door. 2-light Y-tracery windows with hood moulds to left and right. Rear: 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to centre of nave. 2-light Y-tracery windows to left and right. 3-light panel-tracery window to transept. Lancet to chancel. 2-light reticulated-tracery windows to east end of chancel and nave. 3-light intersecting-tracery window to west end. Tower of 3 stages. Clock face to each side of second stage. 2-light Y-tracery louvred openings to third stage; battlemented parapet with banded obelisk finials to corners. Interior: C14 two-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof with windbraces to chancel. Piscina to right of projecting bowl on a half-column. Segmental pointed chancel arch. C19 braced collar truss roof to nave. Mid C17 hexagonal wood pulpit with carved panels. C14 round stone font. Some C17 fleur-de-lys bench ends. History: the clock in the tower was presented in 1877 from Thame Town Hall, where it had been installed c.1777, having been originally at Rycote Chapel from 1577-1777. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.819; V.C.H.: Buckinghamshire, Vol.IV, 1927, p.l06-7).

Listing NGR: SP7357005265

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249133
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1927), 106-107
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 819

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04289/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara J. Elliott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].