CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1181735
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181735.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:56:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Mellis
National Grid Reference:
TM 09484 74321

Details

MELLIS THE COMMON (NORTH WEST TM 07 SE SIDE) 3/22 Church of St. Mary the 29.7.55 Virgin

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14, refenestrated in C15, altered c1735 with collapse of west tower. Restored 1859 and 1900. Flint, largely knapped, some squared and some flushwork, ashlar dressings, some red brick repair and cement rendering. Slate nave roof, leaded chancel roof. Broad 4 bay nave with south porch, shorter, lower and narrower chancel with north east vestry, ruinous west tower. Chequerwork plinth to nave and porch. Nave to south has 3 large 3-light Perpendicular windows, brattished rectilinear tracery, segmental pointed arches with hood moulds, string courses at sill and impost levels. Full height 2 stage buttresses. South porch from west bay was 2 storeys: tall outer entrance arch of 2 wave moulded orders, semi-octagonal moulded responds with heavily moulded capitals and bases; impost string course, above a 2-light traceried segmental pointed arched upper chamber window, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, gargoyles at angles to plain rendered parapet. In returns are 2- light openings with curvilinear tracery, that to west blocked, that to east with a cusped quatrefoil. Inner entrance arch is heavily moulded, jambs have slender shafts with capitals and bases. Nave to north is similar with a continuously moulded pointed entrance arch in west bay, semi octagonal rood stair projects to north east, string courses on nave to west, coped gable parapets with a ridge cross to east. To west ruinous section of north and south tower walls remain as buttresses to nave, a small gabled brick belfry on ridge, tower arch blocked in snecked stone. Chancel: east end retains flushwork plinth with cusped arched panels, C19 4-light east window, red brick repair, plain parapet to shallow gable, 3 stage buttress to south east. South elevation has a low door with a continuously moulded pointed arch, mask stopped hood mould, towards west a simpler 3-light C15 window with ogee headed lights, towards east a blocked window and flint and brick 3 stage buttresses. North elevation has a blocked 3-light window with tracery as to south, cement rendered lean-to vestry rebuilt in C19 with diagonal buttresses. Interior: triple chamfered pointed chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with large capitals and bases, tall triple chamfered tower arch, semi-octagonal responds with capitals and bases, blocked in C18 with rendered raised panels over a round headed, boarded door. Angel corbels to 4 bay arched braced nave roof, largely C19 with scissor bracing over collars. 4 bay chancel roof with moulded arched braces to principals, brattished wall plates. Rear arches to nave windows have engaged shafts with capitals and bases, string courses at sill level. To north of chancel arch 2 centred arched rood loft openings. In chancel a door to vestry with a double wave moulded arch, mask stopped hood mould, to end of N wall is an Easter Sepulchre, 4 centred arch with roses and carved spandrels, below five 4 centred arched niches partially blocked, to east end of south wall a chamfered pointed arched piscina with a hexafoil drain. Restored C15 font, octagonal, quatrefoils to plinth, 4 lions on stem, angel corbels to bowl with Evangelists symbols and Tudor roses. Restored C15 rood screen, 5 bays, panelled dado with cusped tracery, richly traceried ogee headed openings, shafts to ribbed coving. Early C17 communion table with turned legs, 3 early C17 chairs, one with a relief scene of the sacrifice of Isaac. In vestry, reused early C17 arched and strapwork panels on a cupboard, an early chest with iron bands. Royal Arms of Charles I dated 1634 in former tower arch. C19 poppyheaded bench ends, C19 choir stalls with vase balustered frontals. In nave to south east a chest tomb to R. Yaxley, d.1570, ashlar with moulded base and capping, 3 cusped lozenges with shields, brasses removed from capping. Set on south wall a panel with arms in 3 lozenges. C15 glass in nave south window, full figures of Saints and fragments. External monument below windows on nave south wall, C18 and early C19 inscribed panels to Bullock Family.

Listing NGR: TM0948474321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280310
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12648/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].