CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182036
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MALTING ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:47:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MALTING ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Honington
National Grid Reference:
TL9134374570

Details

TL 97 SW HONINGTON MALTING ROW (NORTH SIDE)

3/78 Church of All Saints 14.7.55

GV I

Parish church. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower in flint with an admixture of ragstone: freestone dressings. Remains of coursing in the nave walls, particularly on the north side. Chancel refaced in C19 with large knapped flints mixed with rubble stone. Plaintiled roofs: 2 small C19 stove chimneys protrude from the southern slope. A cross on the eastern gable of both nave and chancel. Porch C15, in black knapped flint, with a base of flushwork panels. On its south face, squared black knapped flints are set into traceried flushwork panels. Stone-faced diagonal buttresses: high embattled parapet decorated with flushwork panels bearing various motifs. 3 empty canopied niches in a row over C19 restored doorway. Open timber roof: miniature king posts, moulded rafters. Norman south doorway with 2 orders of shafts, the 2 outer shafts with zig-zag decoration, that on the right also with 3 intervening decorated bands. Scalloped capitals, and 3 enriched orders to arch, with base for statue above. On inner side of each door jamb, a small square recess for a cross-bar. The nave has diagonal buttresses at east and west. The line of an earlier, higher roof can be seen on the east face of the tower. 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery on south side. On south side of the chancel, 2 2-light windows: one rectangular, the other with ogee-headed lights in a rectangular frame. Between them, a plain C19 restored priest's door. 2 diagonal buttresses in kidney flint and freestone have been added to the east end of the chancel, probably when the large C19 east window was inserted, and a small vestry is built against the north wall. The church was extensively restored in 1863 (per White's Directory of Suffolk, 1874), when both nave and chancel roofs were replaced, as well as the pulpit, lectern and benches. A very fine octagonal C14 font has delicate traceried panels around shaft and bowl, and a Crucifixion on the 8th side. Low, renewed base. Plain narrow Norman chancel arch: imposts on nook shafts. On its north side a wide, shallow recess, possibly for a side altar. In north wall of nave a tall narrow empty niche, and a cut-away recess for the former rood loft stairs. On the south side of chancel, a C14 piscina with cusped ogee head. To the left of the priest's door, the brass of George Duke, 1594. To the right of the door, the deep sill and surround of the window have traces of colour and patterns. On the north side, a square recess, and 2 fine monuments: one to Robert Rushbrook, 1753, the other to 2 of his daughters. Late C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. 4 C15 benches, with poppy-heads and animals on the ends, reused as choir stalls. Tower, C14, small, square and unbuttressed, in 3 stages, with a plain embattled parapet faced in black knapped flint. A stair turret in Tudor red. brick is built out on the south side: 2 paired slit windows, conical roof. Renewed west window: traces of an earlier window above with triangular head outlined in red bricks. Quatrefoil window on west in second stage, and a 2- light window in Decorated style on each face of the top stage. Restored tower arch. C16 studded plank door to stair turret. Original late C15/early C16 bell-frame in heavy timberwork with arched intersecting braces. 3 bells.

Listing NGR: TL9134374570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284055
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Suffolk, (1874)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14579/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].