CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182305
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MIDDLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182305.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:26:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MIDDLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton St. John
National Grid Reference:
SP 57750 09372

Details

STANTON ST. JOHN MIDDLE ROAD SP50NE (West side) 5/163 Church of St. John the Baptist 18/07/63

GV I

Church. c.1200 and c.1300, altered C14, tower C15. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of c.1300 has deep buttresses between pairs of trefoil-headed lancets, with a priests door to south and a 3-light east window containing extraordinary cusped lattice tracery. Nave has cinquefoil-headed clerestory lights. South aisle has a C13 lancet in the west wall but was probably widened in late C14; its C19 east window is in Decorated style, the 2-light square-headed south windows are C15 and later, and the south door is C14. Wider north aisle has one C14 north window with Reticulated tracery, but other windows to north and east are C15 with tall cinquefoil lights under square heads; west window has Perpendicular tracery. C15 crenellated 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and semi-octagonal stair tower, to south, with a short spire; west doorway has quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels and a label; 2-light west window with Perpendicular tracery; 2-light arched belfry openings with quatrefoil tracery. Interior: Chancel windows have elaborately-moulded rear arches with head stops; small contemporary piscina to south; ogee-headed double-cusped tomb recess to north. 3-bay nave has c.1200 masonry-piered arcade to north of which the eastern arch is the earliest; south arcade has C13 eastern arch, and the rest is early C14. 7-canted coupled-rafter roofs to nave and chancel are probably medieval. Plain Transitional-style chancel arch is noted as rebuilt c.1700. Fittings include a C15 oak parclose screen in north aisle, part of which is now in tower arch; 2 oak C15 pew fronts with flowers carved on a lattice background; 8 medieval benchends in chancel with double-headed finials; elaborately-carved C17 pulpit incorporating arms of New College, Oxford, owners of the parish; C17 communion table in south aisle; C17 panelling in chancel; medieval stone mensa with hollow-chamfered lower edges, medieval encaustic tiles from the excavated church of Woodperry. Stained glass includes late C13 panels, roundels and some original grisaille, all in chancel. Monuments include carved stone cartouches to Frances Squibb (died 1695) and Judith Price (died 1709) both retaining much colour; several C18 wall monuments including one with Corinthian columns supporting a swan-necked pediment; a small brass inscription to William Pudsey (buried 1658) in a partly-gilt Stone surround on the chancel wall; many C16, C17 and C18 ledgers, Painted Hanoverian arms above the chancel arch are dated 1801. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.784-5).

Listing NGR: SP5774709371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246683
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 784-5
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/06352/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pauline Roenisch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].