CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182343
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182343.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:53:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Metfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 29430 80325

Details

METFIELD THE STREET TM 28 SE 9/102 Church of St. John the - Baptist 29.7.55 GV I

Parish church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings, the nave and chancel plastered. The nave roof is clad with shingles, the chancel roof slated. Square tower, mainly of C14 date although the base may be earlier; the crenellated parapet was added in 1712. the belfy stage, which is slightly narrower, has Y-traceried openings. 4-bay nave, largely reconstructed in C15 with 2-light and 3-light windows of that date. Fine early C15 knapped flint porch with flushwork panelling across the whole facade and a crenellated parapet. Enriched entrance arch and hood mould, with leaf-carved spandrels; 2 trefoil-headed niches above. Original wooden lierne vault with carved bosses. Moulded nave doorway with medieval plank door. Early C14 chancel, heightened and refenestrated in C15; a blocked Cl4 window is visible inside. C19 wooden east window. Interior. C15 arch- braced nave roof in 8 bays with a crenellated wallplate (partly renewed) and arch-bracing beneath the ridge. The east bay is treated as a canopy of honour and has original painted decoration on boards based on the motifs for Jesus and Mary. C15 4-bay arch-braced chancel roof with C19 restoration and painted decoration. In the chancel an early C14 piscina with elongated trefoil arch. C15 piscina in nave. C15 carved octagonal font with small traces of orignal colouring: the bowl panels depict alternately lions and angels holding shields bearing a leopard, derived from the arms of Sir John Jermy who was Lord of the Manor. Part of the dado of the medieval rood screen is stored at the west end of the nave: there are traceried panels and some original colouring. C18 west gallery, enlarged in C19. At the east end of the chancel are C18 framed copies of the Lord's Prayer-and Creed. Furnishings mainly of c.1900. In the base of the tower an early C17 turret clock still in use.

Listing NGR: TM2943080325

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280051
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11035/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].